What will I get if I breed an EE roo with a red sex link?

nab58

Songster
6 Years
Mar 28, 2013
CT
I just hatched my first batch of eggs from my EE roo and red sex link hens. Both chicks are gold colored and one has black stripes down her back. Can I assume they're pullets because they're gold colored? If not, what could I end up with?
Is there a chance they could lay colored eggs?

You cannot breed a  red sexlink witha  EE roo,or any other kind of rooster.

Really?? Then what do you call these?
1f604.png

Really?? Then what do you call these?
1f604.png

yuckyuck.gif
.... I read that reply and my first thought was...why not? so I googled it...this answer is backwards, they had EE hens and RSL Roo's but i think that what the ThePRfan meant was that you'll get more "mutts". LOL EE are a mix breed and RSL are mixed as well. If that is not what they meant then.....I'm at a loss and will go back to my first question..."why not". :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/900129/easter-egger-cross-red-sex-linked

Oh,I got it right now!
You can't breed RSL roosters with a RSL an d make more RSL.Had to re-read a post and link,

The chicks look exactly like their moms did when they were chicks. That's why I'm wondering if they have the red sex link coloring thing going.
Now that I think about it, the RSLs had a white father and red mother. My chicks father is not white, he's brown/multi.

My EE roo (father of the chicks). Mother is on the right.

Last edited:
I have a EEx Cochin Roo who looked very much like yours and breed with a sex link. Same red color as the parents with a little black spotting in the hackles and a cute Cochin butt.She lays lght brown eggs boarder line pink but I'd still call them brown.

I think what PRfan was trying to explain was that you can't breed a sex link to get a sexlink that you could sex by color.

Sex links are a hybrid of two breeds and that hybridization is what causes them to be sexable by color.
There are some chickens that will breed true sexlink...dorkings I think...don't quote me on that one ;)

Back
Top Bottom