New babies :)

AnitaE

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 4, 2008
Jena, Louisiana
I got my new sebatopol babies 2 weeks ago. This week has been warm so I've started taking them outside some to introduce to my older ganders. One of my boys seemed really sweet and wanted them close....the other was not so sweet and hissed and bit one of the babies on their little back :( So I put the big boys in the pen and let the babies loose where the older ones can see them but not touch. Is this normal? Everywhere I read says what good paren'ts ganders are...but my one sure didn't seem like a good daddy....and he is my sweetest boy! Is it a jealousy issue? Or is this normal behavior getting used to the babies?

I got my new sebatopol babies 2 weeks ago. This week has been warm so I've started taking them outside some to introduce to my older ganders. One of my boys seemed really sweet and wanted them close....the other was not so sweet and hissed and bit one of the babies on their little back :( So I put the big boys in the pen and let the babies loose where the older ones can see them but not touch. Is this normal? Everywhere I read says what good paren'ts ganders are...but my one sure didn't seem like a good daddy....and he is my sweetest boy! Is it a jealousy issue? Or is this normal behavior getting used to the babies?
They just need time to get use to them by keep them separate where the 2 older boys can see them will help, then as the babies get older let the adults have more time with them with you there of course. When I brought my 2 goslings home it took my 2 adults about 3 weeks to totally adopt them I'd bring them outside daily 2-3 times and just sit and watch the goose was more responsive first but soon the gander thought she had hatched them and was in love too. . So be patient it will happen, and yes nipping is normal.

Back
Top Bottom