Do Orpingtons thrive in heat and humidity?

OnlyOrps

Songster
5 Years
Jan 20, 2015
I just moved to Mississippi. I would love to have Orpingtons. I can't find many breeders around me. Is there a reason? I've been told they don't do well in heat and humidity so I'm trying to research this before I commit to buying any. Thanks!

My area is not especially humid most of the time, but it does get hot.I have both hatchery 'American' and English Orpingtons. I wouldn't say they *thrived* over the summer with weeks and weeks of 100+ (quite often in the hundred-teens) temperatures, but with minimal efforts (misting the run at peak heat, electrolytes in water, things like that) I did not lose a singe one to heat. They don't love it, but with shade and sympathy watermelon they can handle it. The hatchery birds handled it better than than the super fluffy and heavy English ones, but all survived.

Hopefully someone has more experience on the humidity side.

Thanks for the info! I really appreciate your reply! I am hopeful I can manage to have Orps here. I've found a handful of breeders in this area so far... hope that's a good sign!

I breed American Buff, Black, and Lavender Orpington's and i didn't loose a single one this past summer. Im located in Oklahoma and humidity isn't a huge thing here but it still gets in the 100+ so i wouldn't say they thrive per say, but they don't do horrible either. Lots of fresh water, watermelon, and shade. Good luck with your adventure :)

There are a bunch of very successful Orp breeders in Alabama and the Carolinas, so while they may not be ideal conditions, they certainly don't make it impossible to keep them.

I suppose it depends on how you define "thrive." In really hot summer weather, my Orpingtons have been listless and panting with outstretched wings (even in shaded areas), but they did survive. In contrast, my Australorps seemed unfazed by the heat and went about their business like troopers.

Thanks for all the input! I have made an offer on 22 acres of heaven so I hope to have more than enough room for a few flocks of Orps. Big barn with fans to keep them cool in the summer and lots of pasture! I can't wait to have some BBS running around again. I so miss my Orps! Anyone have any links to websites of these Alabama breeders? I would love to find close by breeders so the chicks don't have to travel so far... thanks again everyone! You're great!

I live in coastal Georgia where we have humidity of 100% and heat indices of 110 - 120 for weeks in the summer and my Orps do just fine. We have a 10' x 10' mulberry patch and in the summer that's where you will find them everyday from about noon till 4.

Thanks for your input... I've found a handful of breeders here with nice lines. A few more flocks in surrounding states. I'm waitingto see if my offer is accepted! I can't wait to find out!

I'm a bit south of you in Mississippi, and my orps (Black, Buff, BBS, Jubilee, GL, Red at different times) have done just fine in our heat/humidity. I've only lost one Buff in 4 years, no idea what happened to her. Heat index of 115 that day, I went out to check on birds after work, they seemed uncomfortable but ok, so I went in the house to get a 1/4 watermelon to give them. 15 minutes later, a 1.5 y/o Buff hen was dead in the coop. I'm assuming heat stroke; but again, that's the only orp I've ever lost to the heat. (Wish I could say the same thing for our multitude of predators :( )

They do seem to take a bit of a break from laying when it gets excessively hot, and they drink a LOT of water during the heat spells which leads to some runny poop on occasion.

Back
Top Bottom