Lame ducklings

Medic324

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 30, 2014
I'm having issues with two of my ducklings. I recently moved them to a bigger pen and the next day two of them appear to have hurt their legs. The first (a female white layer) almost seemed like she was pigeon toed and would constantly step on her foot and trip. Which progressed to her now not even attempting to walk she just scoots around on her belly. The second (a female mallard) just suddenly wouldn't put any weight on a leg and has now also resorted to just scooting around on her belly. They are all about 5 weeks old now and I moved them both to the old pen to keep them separated. Is there anything I can do to rehab them or assist them in anyway? Or any ideas of whats wrong with them?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
What are you feeding them, specifically?

My first thought would be niacin deficiency - it is always advisable to supplement ducklings with brewers yeast (can be sourced at health food stores, feed stores, Amazon, etc)

What are you feeding them, specifically?

My first thought would be niacin deficiency - it is always advisable to supplement ducklings with brewers yeast (can be sourced at health food stores, feed stores, Amazon, etc)
I agree 1 Tablespoon of Brewers Yeast to 1 cup of feed.

I am feeding them an unmedicated chick starter. Should I give it to all of the ducklings then or just the two with symptoms? Here is a link to the feed http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/sprout-chick-starter-grower-non-medicated/0000000040174
It looks like good fed but formulated more towards chicks than ducklings but since most of us have to use it for our ducklings we supplement with Brewers yeast so they get the B vitamins they need. Water fowl need extra B3 and I'd give to them all that way if another is dif you'll already catch it before symptoms start. Usually only take 3-5 days to see a difference. Keep us updated.and pardon my manners

smile.png
Welcome to BYC

Last edited:
That feed looks like it's fine for them. Ducklings should get 18-20% protein feed for the first 4 weeks, then drakes down to 14-16% protein maintenace feed after that, and ducks 14-16% layer feed (drakes don't need the extra calcium in layer feed, and the lower protein is to limit angel wing).

Most chick starter doesn't have the higher niacin amounts needed by ducklings, so I'd give brewers yeast to all of them - it will not hurt them if it isn't a niacin deficieny issue.

You can also supplement their diet with finely chopped greens (no iceberg lettuce though - no nutritional value)

Another thing to consider adding to their feed (or with their greens) is Poultry Nutri-Drench (or other poultry vitamins)

I add several drops of Nutri-drench to 1/2 gallon of water, add the chopped greens and a handful of their feed as a 'treat' each day - they LOVE it, and it gets them added vitamins and minerals.

And since I add a handful of their feed to their 'treat, they don't get finicky towards the greens.

Hope that helps....

Cheers'!

Dan

Last edited:
Oooops, seems I'm repeating Miss Lydia....that's what I get for replying from my phone :)

Last edited:
Ducks aren't chicks, so why would you feed them food meant for an entirely different species? What you're doing is like giving a guinea pig hamster food and then wondering why it died. Crush up niacin pills, get brewer's yeast, NOT BREAD YEAST, and hope they can still develop normally. Or better yet, just get the darn duck starter crumble. And you have the gall to ask if you can still give chick feed to some of your birds even after being told that it's horrible for them?

Sorry for the rude tone, it's just that 1. this is basic, basic stuff, 2. I'm in ah immense amount of pain today and my cup of give-a-fark has run empty, and 3. I've had to personally put down many ducks and geese who were just too far spraddle-legged, as well as blind, neurologically damaged cats that were deprived of taurine (which is in all commercial cat food so this guy was a REAL moron). It broke my heart each time because its so, so easily preventable and is just plain common knowledge! Why keep an animal if you're not even going to make any effort whatsoever to research what it eats?

Last edited:
I do use Start and grow that my vet said was fine to use for chicks and ducklings, but she also said that some brands of start and grow can be harmful to ducklings, ill have to look at what bran we use but just ask your local exotic vet they can help out more than you think.

No question, no matter how basic or simple is a bad question - we ALL started without any knowledge of raising ducks. I would prefer anyone to ask even the most basic question, than to not and risk harming their little(s).

Having said that, actually, most 'chick starter' feeds (non medicated) are actually fine for, and recommended for, ducklings.

The issue that is raised though, is that ducklings grow much, much faster than chicks - and so their diet for the first 4-6 weeks is quite critical.

Added to that, that typical 'chick starter' does not have the higher niacin required by ducklings - but is easily supplemented with brewers yeast.

Also, be very careful if using niacin capsules, as that is a very high concentration source of niacin, and can easily be damaging in overdose.

Because brewers yeast is a food product, and not a concentrated vitamin supplement, you really can't overdose the niacin with it.

Cheers'!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom