Egg temps with thermometer?

rainbowchick

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 9, 2014
Hillsborough, NC
I just started my first ever hatching eggs in a genesis 1588 on Tuesday. I used a secondary thermometer (since I got the bator used and wasn't sure if it was properly calibrated still). My probe thermometer registers between 98.8 and 99.5 most of the time. Initially it was around 97, so I had boosted the bator temp from 100 to 101. I figured if it's somewhere in between 99 and 101 it should be okay.
However.... I got out my thermal thermometer tonight and thought I'd check the EGGS' temps. This thermometer has three settings: body, surface, room. I knew the room one was useless, as I'd just be letting all the warm air out as soon as I opened the bator. So, I tried the other two. "Surface" temps ranged from 95.9-97. "Body" temps ranged from 101.6-102.8. Which one do I trust? If it's the latter, do I have a chance of saving the eggs, only being two days in?

I've turned down the incubator from 101 to 100. (Dropping my probe thermometer down to 97.4). I figure it is better too low than too high, at least until I get some advice...
Luckily this is just a test hatch with 7 eggs that cost me $5... I'm hoping to work out all the kinks before I do the "real" eggs!

I just started my first ever hatching eggs in a genesis 1588 on Tuesday. I used a secondary thermometer (since I got the bator used and wasn't sure if it was properly calibrated still). My probe thermometer registers between 98.8 and 99.5 most of the time. Initially it was around 97, so I had boosted the bator temp from 100 to 101. I figured if it's somewhere in between 99 and 101 it should be okay.
However.... I got out my thermal thermometer tonight and thought I'd check the EGGS' temps. This thermometer has three settings: body, surface, room. I knew the room one was useless, as I'd just be letting all the warm air out as soon as I opened the bator. So, I tried the other two. "Surface" temps ranged from 95.9-97. "Body" temps ranged from 101.6-102.8. Which one do I trust? If it's the latter, do I have a chance of saving the eggs, only being two days in?
It makes a difference what kind of incubator you are using too. A forced air is recommendedat 99.5 and a still air has a recommendation of 101-102. If you have a forced air and your eggs are 101-102 it won't neccessarily compromise the hatch, however you may see the eggs hatching earlier than they should. You are right, erring on the cool side is better than erring on the hot side. If the temp is cooler for the average of incubation you will find your hatch may be delayed. The best thing to do is have two thermometers that are calibrated in the bator during the hatch.

Back
Top Bottom