Need help ASAP

JonathanL23

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 20, 2014
I have a turkey that i believe has Swollen head syndrome. her head is swollen she is shivering has this water stuff in one eye. What can i do is there a natural cure or treatment. i was thinking of bringing her in my basement but i thought maybe the change in temp would make it worse. her sister died yesterday im think maybe it was the same thing.

Is it contagious. if so just to chickens and turkeys or can humans and other pets get it.

I have a turkey that i believe has Swollen head syndrome. her head is swollen she is shivering has this water stuff in one eye. What can i do is there a natural cure or treatment. i was thinking of bringing her in my basement but i thought maybe the change in temp would make it worse. her sister died yesterday im think maybe it was the same thing.

Is it contagious. if so just to chickens and turkeys or can humans and other pets get it.

You didn't say where you are located but I just got an alert this morning that Bird Flu has been reported in birds in several states. Poultry owners should be finding out what to watch for in their flocks. JohnathanL you may want to have your bird checked by a veterinarian. The swollen head may be one of the symptoms. Contact your local Game and Fish Dept. if you need more information on this.
I hope it turns out well for you. Please keep us posted if you find out anything.
hmm.png

I'm sorry that I don't know much about swollen head syndrome. But in my chicken health handbook it says that it is rare and not found in North America. So We need to look at other causes. I'll keep looking in my book and see what I can find.

Influenza is one disease that can cause the swollen eyes, There are several others listed that are rare or not common.

The bird flu that I was reading about this morning has been found in Washington state, Oregon and a case was just confirmed in Utah.
I don't think it is the same strain that affects people but it can be fatal to domestic poultry.
sad.png

Last edited:
ok thanks. my mom is supposed to call the only vet in my area tomorrow to see what to do. we cant afford $50 vaccines that i read dont really work. her sister died like i said yesterday. its was weird her whole head to her neck was blood. but no bite marks like she was attacked.

ok thanks. my mom is supposed to call the only vet in my area tomorrow to see what to do. we cant afford $50 vaccines that i read dont really work. her sister died like i said yesterday. its was weird her whole head to her neck was blood. but no bite marks like she was attacked.

Did the turkey that died look the same? Frank, obvious blood, or discoloration (couldn't be rinsed off?). Since the heads were/are "swollen" - some ideas, below:

When you get a call to the vet ask about any incidences of either low/high pathogenic H7... Avian Influenza in your province/locale.
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals...reportable/ai/eng/1323990856863/1323991018946

Please compare shot of turkey with Mycoplasma G:, on this page: http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou...lasma_gallisepticum_infection_in_poultry.html

to one with AI (scroll down) on this page: http://www.gbwf.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3797&highlight=

Yes, separate the turkey from any other poultry (a warmer environment will not stress turk too much/returning it to the cold without acclimating it, will).

Maybe the Province covers the cost of necropsy, if the poor thing expires, in order to make a diagnosis (AI is reportable in Canada - though if test is positive owner can seek reimbursement) - see first link, above.

Good luck!

Ed: clarity

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom