Should I get rid of my chickens?

Americano Blue

Make everyday count
6 Years
Apr 14, 2014
(Insert Something Sarcastic)
My Coop
My Coop
I have 7 hens we adopted from a friend but honestly, I don't like them and they don't like me. They aren't very social and tend to be moody. Should I get rid of them and try again or just try to tame them again. Right now they aren't laying and they are 2-3 years old.

Last edited:
If there's another breed you're looking into there's no harm in getting new birds. A lot of the strains of chickens we see now only have a laying span of 2-4 years (which is bad)

If you don't like them, why would you keep them? In my opinion, that's just a waste of your time and money that could be better spent on something you enjoy.

I agree if you don't like the particular birds you have, it's just fine to get new ones. 2-3 years is getting up there as far as egg production goes so productivity will be going down. Keep in mind however, the more time you spend with the birds, the tamer and more used to you they will become. So, if the only reason you're getting rid of them is because they're not tame, I say give it time. Chickens can easily live 6+ years in ideal conditions. However if you're wanting eggs, replace the older birds or get some younger pullets. I start replacing my laying hens when they get to be around 3-4 years old (depending on breed). I sell them as stew hens or we butcher them ourselves and they are replaced with younger birds. But, if are unhappy with the particular birds, like bobbi-j said, there's no sense in wasting your money on feed or your time on something you don't enjoy.

Last edited:
You could also try and find them a home. Just because you don't want them doesn't mean others don't. I personally just adopted 2 non-laying retirees because i don't care about the eggs.

I have two I don't like at all, a similar situation. I got them from someone who was wanting to go a different direction with his flock. They are very scared and won't let me near them. I am ready to put them in a pot.
At first, all of the ones I got (about 6 of them) were not nice and would not let me get close. Now I can handle and "pet" 4 of them, the other two are still just as shy as the day I got them though

@Onebroodymomma - Maybe they were mistreated at their old place? How long have you had them? Maybe it'll just take time for them to trust you.

General - I've had 6 of mine since they were baby chicks and it took ~8 months before i was able to *sometimes* pet them. They'll follow me around and huddle near my legs, but they aren't fans of snuggling. I personally, would never kill a chicken because I wasn't getting enough snuggling from them. But that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom