"Jack" the Naked Neck Rooster

He was my surprise chick from McMurray Hatcheries When I first saw him I was "What in the world is that?" lol

Last edited:
He is really sweet and very talkative. I can pick him up and he just chatters on. He is my favorite chicken.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how this breed came about? What made the neck feathers get bred out of them? He is very pretty, love how red his neck is!

History of Naked Neck (aka Turken): Naked Necks have a distant and obscure past, but it is generally agreed that the breed originated in Eastern Hungary. They were later reached their closest state of perfection as a breed in Germany. The Naked Neck trait is highly dominant and is passed on the first generation offspring when crossed with a non-naked neck breed. Commonly sold as ‘Turkens’ supposedly a cross between turkeys and chickens, this breed is all chicken. They were imported into the United States in the 1800’s but were not admitted to the American Standard of Perfection until 1965. They are listed in the All Other Standard Breeds Class

Conformation: The Naked Neck trait can be passed on to any breed of chicken, so particular attention to specific color patterns and type is important to distinguish from crossbreeds. Naked Necks are recognized in Red, Buff, Black and White. Barred Necked Necks are also available. They are a moderately-sized and shaped breed with a Single Comb. Naked Necks have less than half the feathers than other breeds of the same size. The bare patches on their skin lack feathers as well as feather follicles and the chicks hatch with the bare patches of skin already present. Standard weights are: Cock: 8 ½ lbs., Cockerel: 7 ½ lbs, Hen: 6 ½ lbs., Pullet: 5 ½ lbs.

Thanks! Very interesting! They'd probably never make it here in my temps....lots of negative temps in the winter and your article said they have half the feathers of regular breeds. Still very pretty! Love the coloring on his tail feathers.

Back
Top Bottom