Egg stopped chirping and moving

tamanda003

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 26, 2014
Around 3 o'clock an egg began to pip. By 4 it was furiously zipping around the shell. It seemed very strong and was chirping the whole time. All of a sudden it stopped about 2.5 hours later. It made it half way around already. No movement, no chirping. What should I do?

The membrane seems opaque where the shell has come off. Humidity was about 65, but is now up to 70. One spot of the membrane seems red inside.

I know it can take a while and maybe it is tired, but with no movement or sound I am worried. :(

Last edited:
I'm not sure what to tell you except maybe it wasn't quite ready and it's giving itself a rest. Anytime mine have pipped it takes between 12-24 hours for it to start zipping, so maybe it needs to finish absorbing the blood. Is there a way you can post a pic?

Don't worry, I've been hatching chicks for a couple years, and most of them do this. In fact, mine usually stop several times before they get to the half way point. It takes a lot of hard work for them to hatch, so they take breaks. The chick is probably sleeping for a bit, and will start up again when it's ready. Hope this helps!
smile.png

I was concerned because I had a previous egg that the membrane suffocated it. I was so concerned because I was able to see breathing and then not. I peeled back a few pieces of the egg shell. The chick was dead. Head in it's abdomen, beak slightly open. I am not sure how this happened so fast. One minute it was fine- the next not!

Back
Top Bottom