What do I do?!!

goody64

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Alto, Michigan
Ok... New issue! I had set up a small pallet in my run to act as a wind break. Long story short, a small pallet fell over and landed on some blocks that I have in front of the coop door. ( broke it's fall a little bit) unfortunately it still landed on one of my girls:( it couldn't have pinned her to the ground for very long. I looked out my window and saw that my ladies were out n about so I decided to go let them walk the yard, by the time I got out to the coop (3 min tops) their she was pinned!
I removed the pallet and she jumped up and went back into the coop. However she was favoring one of her legs. She is now in my garage with food and water and heat lamp. She still will not put a whole lot of weight on her leg, and will not walk anywhere. She has Ben laying in the same spot for 3 days. She is alert and eating and drinking water... But will not move. I clean under her an she has layed one egg since the whole ordeal. What should I do?

I think she will recover in short time. Treat her well and keep providing food and water. You are doing your best. Just think how you would be if say you slipped on ice and fell hard. You would be hurting for a while also. Maybe a sore leg even though not broken. WISHING YOUR HEN A QUICK RECOVERY. The egg laying may be on hold due to her discomfort level.
hu.gif

Can you put her back inside the coop inside a cage with food and water? She needs to stay confined to rest the leg. B Complex vitamins in her water may help. If she stays away from the others she may not be easily added back to the flock. A bad sprain or a broken leg may take a few weeks to heal. I hope she gets better soon.

Yeah I don't have another cage. I brought her out their for a visit with her sisters today and one was being mean. Every time I go and check on the others I'm bringing the injured one with me

Ok... My hen is doing better. I have been taking her out to see the other hens at the coop everyday to get them use to her again.
However one of the other hens tries to peck at the the one I have been bringing out.
How do u get them use to her again so she dosent get picked on?

It has to be done gradually, just as you are doing. That is why I suggested leaving her inside the coop in a cage. They forget about each other after a week or so, and can be pretty mean. When you have the time to spend out with them, you could put them together where there will be pecking, but they should settle things fairly quickly. If not, put her in a cage inside the coop, or behind some temporary fencing with food and water for a few days.

The injured hen is still healing. She is walking more but still not confident with putting a lot I weight on her one leg. So I do think I will set up a small secure wood enclosure that shares the same chain linked fence as the coops run.
Will that be good?
I'm still waiting on warmer weather

Back
Top Bottom