Chick pipped day 19

stacemck

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 27, 2014
Townsville Australia
Well one chick has pipped quite an amount and it is mid day 19, I was worried at first but not now because the veins are receding just the humidity had dropped over night so the membranes have dried but I just wrapped the area in moist paper towel like last time and the chick is slowly getting there. I took the opportunity with the paper towel to quickly candle the others and 4 have pipped their air sacs. They are all bantams and I have heard it is normal for them to hatch early so I'm not too worried.

I don't seem to have any movement from the cracked twins but I still have my fingers crossed.

Did you get a twin embryo? I've heard only sometimes do those hatch because soon they run out of room in the egg. Plus the birds would be so much smaller.

Yes it is a twin embryo, it still isn't moving but I'm thinking if the is no room in their they wouldn't move much anyway, Im just keeping an eye on it it is only day 19 so I won't be touching it.

I was surprised to find so many have pipped their air cells however everyone that has piped the air cell and the one that has pipped externally are all Bantam Pekin's so I'm figuring its a breed thing.

Chick 1 Hatched and despite its early hatch its a strong little bugger, i Noticed the pip at around 8 and 6 1/2 hours later it is out and practically doing backflips in the incubator. She is a beautiful Pekin (black with a few blonde spots) Can you tell by these spots if it will be male or female? like you can with I think its the Plymouth Rock correct me if I'm wrong.

The only thing that concerned me was for the first 30 - 40 mins after she hatch her bottom shell appeared to be stuck by i guess what is the umbilical cord. There was no yolk though and no blood and she has since kicked it off. When I hatch my last one a couple of weeks ago there was nothing still attached however that chick had really bad dried membranes and had been stuck for quite a while before I noticed so maybe its just cause this one was in a rush.

I have left her shell in for now cause I don't want to open the incubator again I already had to to wrap her in a wet towel and raise the humidity this morning, so for the sake of the others I don't wanna open it again.

Do you have to take the newly hatched shells out?

If I do it probably isn't an issue here because I'm in north qld and we are at 80% humidity today anyway so if I turn the air con off for a half hour before I take it out it probably wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:
Chick 1 Hatched and despite its early hatch its a strong little bugger, i Noticed the pip at around 8 and 6 1/2 hours later it is out and practically doing backflips in the incubator. She is a beautiful Pekin (black with a few blonde spots) Can you tell by these spots if it will be male or female? like you can with I think its the Plymouth Rock correct me if I'm wrong.

The only thing that concerned me was for the first 30 - 40 mins after she hatch her bottom shell appeared to be stuck by i guess what is the umbilical cord. There was no yolk though and no blood and she has since kicked it off. When I hatch my last one a couple of weeks ago there was nothing still attached however that chick had really bad dried membranes and had been stuck for quite a while before I noticed so maybe its just cause this one was in a rush.

I have left her shell in for now cause I don't want to open the incubator again I already had to to wrap her in a wet towel and raise the humidity this morning, so for the sake of the others I don't wanna open it again.

Do you have to take the newly hatched shells out?

If I do it probably isn't an issue here because I'm in north qld and we are at 80% humidity today anyway so if I turn the air con off for a half hour before I take it out it probably wouldn't hurt.
You don't have to take the shells out. A lot of people won't even open the incubator from lockdown until the hatch is ended.

My last hatch I would say at least half of mine externlly pipped on day 19 (though they didn't finish hatching until day 20 or close to it. My hatch was complete by day 21 with only 3 out of 16 that did not hatch. Standard barnyard mixes. Three NN's, 2 silkies and 2 polish mixes.

Well they have all pretty much hatched there is still one in the final stage of kicking its shell off and unfortunately one of the twins died before it hatched but the bigger one had access to the air cell, pipped and hatched fairly easily. I did have to help it at one stage because it was too tight for it to move so I waited till the veins were practically invisible and then pealed a little of the shell off but left the egg and chick membrane, which was enough for it to take care of the rest itself. The other twin I would say died a day or so ago it didn't look to great. Im a little upset over it, I expected it, it just wasn't nice to see. So other than the twin chick everyone else is alive and thriving.

The only thing is my incubator is a Janoel and I think I may change it because it does not hold a consistent humidity which results in some drying out. It didn't hold the humidity properly on my first hatch and didn't this time either, it is second hand though so I may have to check it for cracks or something that could cause the humidity to escape out excluding the vent hole.

They were shipped eggs so I was a little nervous but I'm very happy it went as well as it did. Probably helps living in a hot and humid climate.

so I bought 6 eggs of each out of those 2 frizzles and 2 pekin infertile and one frizzle went bad around day 8 - 9. So I think thats a pretty good hatch. I will get some pics up once they are all fluffed up.
3 Frizzles
4 Pekins

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom