Signs of illness???

JanetLM

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
My 9month old barred rock, Lucy has been laying 5-6 eggs/week since the middle of October with no issue. Even since its been cold she still lays regular 4-5 eggs/week and I'm pretty sure she laid yesterday.

However last night around 10:30pm when I went to check the coup she was in the nest box but no egg this morning, Then this afternoon she she in the box again for a good hour or more with my banty hen and the banty laid and there was an egg under Lucy but Im not sure it was hers(3 others have access to the box too and Im not sure if it was there before Lucy went in or not) and she is now in the box again. I have read up on egg binding and felt of her stomach and vent area but don't feel an egg.

She was out in the yard today(but not as much) with the other hens eating some scratch I threw out and she doesn't seem to be in any pain when I feel her. When she is in the nest box I can actually pet her and life her up and she doesn't get all loud or crazy acting either, however she is very very people friendly and likes to be petted and sit in your lap.

Do I need to be concerned with her behavior? And what other things can I look for, check or do for her? I do not have liquid calcium but I do have electrolytes(which I added to the water today) and some baby vitamins(poly-vi-sol) if any of that would help.

Even with no eggs in the box?

Thank you very much for your response. I will read up on broody hens. I haven't read alot on it since I only have a small backyard flock and from the original research I did the barred rocks were not known for going broody :) I hope that is all it is I would hate to lose her she is my favorite.

Even with no eggs in the box?

Thank you very much for your response. I will read up on broody hens. I haven't read alot on it since I only have a small backyard flock and from the original research I did the barred rocks were not known for going broody :) I hope that is all it is I would hate to lose her she is my favorite.
From what I read she is showing no signs of illness other than sitting in the nest box. While this can be a sign of egg binding, as you already ruled it out as best you could, I am thinking that maybe she just wants to sit???

They usually will stop laying when they go broody but some have said they continue to get a few eggs. Mine always stop laying when they are broody.

Hopefully she isn't ill!

Is there something about her behavior that makes you think she is not feeling well? Like the way she walks or is she lethargic?

Last edited:
Quote: Not that I could see today...she came out this morning the same as normal...I was just shocked to see her in the nest box last night at 10:30 instead of on the roost and there was no egg this morning. Then she was in the box again this afternoon for a long period of time and now in again.

I guess Im just being overly cautious...she came when I called her and she ran to me and looked normal doing it and I seen her picking in the yard and she looked normal.

These are my first chickens and I had some really bad times in the beginning with cocci taking several of them...I just watch very closely(sometimes to closely) now.

I didn't realize hens would just want to sit in the nest box. I will watch her tomorrow for anything out of the ordinary.

Again thank you so much for the responses.

Back
Top Bottom