Low Incubation Heat

lzufelt

In the Brooder
Jan 24, 2015
Ontario, Canada
I can't seem to regular my heat. It has been about 10 hours since I set my new eggs in the incubator.

The temperature has gone as low as 95 degrees and as high as 100 degrees.

HOW DO I FIX THIS!!!???!

I do have a crafty house and I have posted another threat about that as well, but nothing is working.

I had it up on a chair but have moved it back to the floor, which is the position I had it tested at. I have a blanket laying over it with two egg cartons on the top to continue proper air flow (but it does have a fan so maybe not necessary?) I have a half full water bottle that I set in last night (very early morning) that helped the temperature climb. Maybe I should keep replacing the bottles?

SOMEONE, ANYONE PLEASE help me!!! :(

I can't seem to regular my heat. It has been about 10 hours since I set my new eggs in the incubator.

The temperature has gone as low as 95 degrees and as high as 100 degrees.

HOW DO I FIX THIS!!!???!

I do have a crafty house and I have posted another threat about that as well, but nothing is working.

I had it up on a chair but have moved it back to the floor, which is the position I had it tested at. I have a blanket laying over it with two egg cartons on the top to continue proper air flow (but it does have a fan so maybe not necessary?) I have a half full water bottle that I set in last night (very early morning) that helped the temperature climb. Maybe I should keep replacing the bottles?

SOMEONE, ANYONE PLEASE help me!!! :(
What kind of incubator are you using? Can you adjust the thermostat to turn it up?

I am using the Hover-Bator and the thermostat is turned all the way up. I spoke with the lady who sold me my eggs. She was Egg-stremely helpful. She advised me to take the water completely out, for now, and wait for it to stabilize. It has been decreasing slowly for the past hour and a half. GOOD NEWS!! Temp is currently at 98.4 degrees! I am getting a dehumidifier which I am hoping will bring it the humidity down and then I can slowly add water as need be.

I have put the incubator in a box and have covered it with a blanket to hold in the warm air!

I am using the Hover-Bator and the thermostat is turned all the way up. I spoke with the lady who sold me my eggs. She was Egg-stremely helpful. She advised me to take the water completely out, for now, and wait for it to stabilize. It has been decreasing slowly for the past hour and a half. GOOD NEWS!! Temp is currently at 98.4 degrees! I am getting a dehumidifier which I am hoping will bring it the humidity down and then I can slowly add water as need be.

I have put the incubator in a box and have covered it with a blanket to hold in the warm air!
OK great!! Hopefully that will help!! Good luck!

You might want to try adding some (clean) rocks to your water wells. The theory is the rocks heat up and give off warmth. I personally have never used this as I don't have an issue w/temp, but I have read it in a couple different places. Having the bator in a spot that is away from windows and doors to cut down on drafts is a big help in regulating temps. Where the bator is will greatly effect how well they run. I have a Little Giant and I use it in a spot where the temp is pretty stable and it runs fairly steady (especially for an lg).

I added water late morning and it really spiked my humidity. It went as high as 50%- Is this too high for the first 18 days??

The rock idea sounds like it really could work but Im from Canada - Here comes a typical stereotype :\ - But we have had a very cold winter and I have no access to rocks. I was thinking though, what if I added a bread warmer? I was given a bread warmer that is made out of clay. Do you think if I put it under my egg turner above the wire rack it would keep the heat up? The water Bottle that I have in there seems to be losing its warmth.

I added water late morning and it really spiked my humidity. It went as high as 50%- Is this too high for the first 18 days??

The rock idea sounds like it really could work but Im from Canada - Here comes a typical stereotype :\ - But we have had a very cold winter and I have no access to rocks. I was thinking though, what if I added a bread warmer? I was given a bread warmer that is made out of clay. Do you think if I put it under my egg turner above the wire rack it would keep the heat up? The water Bottle that I have in there seems to be losing its warmth.
Do you guys have dollar stores like the dollar tree up there? I'm Northern NY, just about 45 min from Canada so I totally know about snow...lol The dollar stores sell rocks in the craft area. In ours it's where the vases and "glass pebble things" are...lol I know it sounds silly buying rocks, but they're nice and smooth and I use them for homeschooling crafts projects. :)

In my opinion 50% first 17 days is high. I switched to the "dry" incubation method and love it. I don't add water the first 17 days (as long as my bator stays above 25% and my air cells are growing at the right rate) then I up it to around 75% at lockdown through hatch.

I'm not familiar with the bread warmer, but I get the logistics of it and it might do the trick, worth a try as longs as your there to monitor and make sure it doesn't give to much heat. I'd try to put it away from any eggs if you can so that the eggs in the immediate vicinity don't get overly warm.

Thank you for all of your help!

I am going to try your dry incubation method and see what it does to help! I have been keeping track of the humidity and it seems to be really jumping. The incubator has a fan so it should keep the air moving which should draw in moist air.. fingers crossed!

Thank you for all of your help!

I am going to try your dry incubation method and see what it does to help! I have been keeping track of the humidity and it seems to be really jumping. The incubator has a fan so it should keep the air moving which should draw in moist air.. fingers crossed!
You're welcome. Just make sure you keep an eye on the air cells to make sure they aren't getting too big too fast and good luck!!!

I've heard that the temprature can determen wheather the baby chick will be a rooster or hen. Is this true and if it is, what temp do I need to shoot for in my styrpform incubator for baby hens? I think it's a hova-bator but not sure as I bought it used. I have the automatic turner and fan. THANKS for your help in advance!!

Back
Top Bottom