Does anyone know where i can get free chickens in sumter?

angle

Hatching
Jan 25, 2015
I have checked hundreds of places already . i have a feeling I'm not cheacking in all the right places. I could use some help.

I have checked hundreds of places already . i have a feeling I'm not cheacking in all the right places. I could use some help.

Welcome to BYC
Getting anything for free, including animals, is not always an easy matter - is there a particular reason you want/need the birds to be free? What kind of chickens are you wanting - are you looking for old, non-laying birds (much easier to find as freebies) or young birds who will produce eggs for you (less likely to be found free as these birds hold much more value). You say that you have checked hundreds of places - it might be helpful to offer some of those so as to avoid having us suggest sources you have already looked.

I don't mind what type of breed they are. I'm not very pickey. And I want them as cheap as i can get because i want as many as i can get. I am trying to complete one of my mothers dreams. She has bad fourtune, she always wanted chickens so i want to get her as many as possible

welcome-byc.gif

I'm seeing some red flags here. I don't know how many chickens you are looking for, but if you or your mother can't afford to buy them, how do you (or your mother) plan to be able to afford to house and feed them? What is your mother's dream? Would a nice little flock of, say, 6 or so, satisfy her dream? There is a whole lot more to keeping chickens than just getting some. Sometimes the flock gets parasites that need treatment. Sometimes the flock gets worms that need treatment. Then there is the matter of fencing to protect them from predators. Of course, they can free range, but you still need to buy commercial feed to supplement the free ranging. Especially if you have many birds. They will strip the ground bare in short order if the space they're ranging in is too small. Feeders and waterers are another cost. It all adds up. I hope that you will be able to find a few chickens for your mother, and that they will be adequately cared for.

welcome-byc.gif

I'm seeing some red flags here. I don't know how many chickens you are looking for, but if you or your mother can't afford to buy them, how do you (or your mother) plan to be able to afford to house and feed them? What is your mother's dream? Would a nice little flock of, say, 6 or so, satisfy her dream? There is a whole lot more to keeping chickens than just getting some. Sometimes the flock gets parasites that need treatment. Sometimes the flock gets worms that need treatment. Then there is the matter of fencing to protect them from predators. Of course, they can free range, but you still need to buy commercial feed to supplement the free ranging. Especially if you have many birds. They will strip the ground bare in short order if the space they're ranging in is too small. Feeders and waterers are another cost. It all adds up. I hope that you will be able to find a few chickens for your mother, and that they will be adequately cared for.

x2 Chickens are much more complicated to care for than dogs or cats. It takes a great amount of studying/thought just to prepare for having chickens. I hope you can give your mom her dream......

Yes a flock of 6 is Great. And my mothers dream is to have chickens . I understand that there is more to it then meets the eye. However I would perfer free chickens i would also be willing to pay.

Yes a flock of 6 is Great. And my mothers dream is to have chickens . I understand that there is more to it then meets the eye. However I would perfer free chickens i would also be willing to pay.

Maybe ordering started pullets from a hatchery might be your best bet. They should be clean and healthy when you receive them. If you just pick up hens here and there, you have no idea what you are getting. Almost no one gives away or sells sound, healthy laying hens. Even if they do, it's risky. Good luck to you and mom.
smile.png

You might get lucky. We got our first 6 chickens (all hens) for free and they were full grown. A lady nearby just loves raising chickens and often is giving them away or selling them for cheap, because she has too many. We brought her a couple bags of feed in exchange, as we know they're not cheap to feed. I never asked about diseases or anything, but she didn't seem like the type of person who would knowingly give chickens away if she knew she had diseases going on. Two years later and we still have 3 of the original 6 (one died suddenly one day, two we culled). The rest of our flock of 23 appears to be quite healthy.

Not sure where sumter is. If you have a craigslist or local online bulletin board, you might have better luck there. Or start asking around of who has chickens. You could always just go to a feed store in a few months, many will have chicks for sale, usually $3-5/ea. Or ask a feed store if they know any chicken keepers that might have extra chickens. Bobbi-j does bring up some good points...chickens are the cheap part, it's the coop and run and feed that are the expensive part. You need a good secure coop for them at night, with proper ventilation, otherwise your mother's flock will be short lived due to predators. Owning a cat is way more simple than chickens. Perhaps you know all this already, but it didn't come across in your posts. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom