Is 45 degree weather to cold for my goose and ducks??

Ica94

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
Hello everyone!
so i have a chinese goose and two pekin ducks. They used to sleep in my garage at night (during summer months because they were still babies) but about two and a half months ago they all (especially the goose) would rather sleep outside in the lake next to our house then come in at night. They are safe outside since the lake is in a neighborhood and there is a bunch of muscovies and another goose that lives on that lake. So what i am asking is, will they be ok in cold weather? Here in fl the lowest ive seen is 35 degrees f. I only ask cuz i went outside to feed them and my goose (which i assume is a boy) was in the shrubs next to my door making a nest and hiding and i think its becuase he might be cold so im trying to bring him inside but he wont buldge :(

My ducks and geese have a warm run in shed that they can use to escape the elements. They never use it. It was about 20 out when I took this picture (notice that the goose (left) is nearly buried, and the gander (right) has a good couple inches of snow on him as well. It has been routinely below zero here for the past few weeks. 45 degrees is fine, and it sounds like your goose considers it good enough to prepare for laying!!

Thanks everyone :) maybe he is a she...but they are taking the cold fine. I cannot imagine them in that snow :O

Just wanted to update. Goosy is a she! We found a large goose egg where she would nest. I always thought she was a boy because she has become a bit agressive and mounts my female pekin duck lol but its established haha

Just wanted to update. Goosy is a she! We found a large goose egg where she would nest. I always thought she was a boy because she has become a bit agressive and mounts my female pekin duck lol but its established haha
Congrats always nice to have another girl and eggs as a bonus. and girls will mount girls so we can't always go by that.

Back
Top Bottom