Hello from Gainesville, MO

Angieb1725

Hatching
Jan 26, 2015
My husband and I started with 3 baby chicks last year and have just recently, (last night), added 3 roosters that were raised together. I am here for all of the information I can get on how to raise chickens for eggs and food. I do have a question. One of the roosters we brought in is a Game Rooster and he went after the Rhode Island Red Rooster. Will this behavior eventually stop since they have been together before?

Welcome. I used to travel that area a lot canoeing the North Fork, Bryant Creek, the Jacks Fork and the Eleven Point.

As for your question, that's what games do, they don't play well with others. I'm pretty sure it will continue. They'll probably go at each other till one gives up or gets killed.

Check characteristics on these pages.

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/bantam.html#game

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

ETA

Another problem is that you have 3 roosters and 3 hens.
The ratio should be more like 1 rooster for every 8-12 hens. 8 for heavy breeds, 12 or more for light breeds like games.
Even if they didn't fight they'd have all the feathers worn off the hens in no time.

Last edited:
Thank you Chicken Canoe. We are planning on getting more hens this spring. I guess for now we will just have to keep them separated. God bless you!!

They probably did fine growing up together but once there were hens in the mix that changed the whole flock dynamics, especially when they noticed there weren't enough hens to go around.

The lady we got them from had a pretty good mixture of hens, but I don't think it was the 8-12 you said is good. She was selling off some of her roosters because she had too many.

Last edited:
My mother and father did live Gainesville,Mo both gone now. I love it there and do come down from Springfield area about 1-2 a year. I lived in Miller Mo out side of town about 4 miles. Now live just out side of Springfield. Will get chicks on March 02 2015. I hope you have good luck your chicken. My 6 Black Australorp will have a nice brooder,and starting with a coop about March 01. Good to here from you. PP

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!

Sometimes, several roosters do get along, especially if they are raised together, live in a large flock of hens, or are separate from hens. However, chickens are naturally territorial, and fighting among roosters is common.

Back
Top Bottom