Anyone know what breed these roos are?

Nedw3

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 29, 2014
Kern River Valley California
So my daughter bought 5 bantam chicks last year that were suppose to be ameraucana but I'm pretty sure they are not. She got them at a local hardware store that had ordered them from Privett hatchery. I think the hens are Sussex but the roos I have no idea.

Rooster in pic 1 is a Blue Red Old English Game Bantam
Rooster in pic 2 is a Lemon Blue Old English Game Bantam
Hen in pic 2 is a Spangled Old English Game Bantam

Rooster in pic 1 is a Blue Red Old English Game Bantam
Rooster in pic 2 is a Lemon Blue Old English Game Bantam
Hen in pic 2 is a Spangled Old English Game Bantam
Thank you very much. The two roos are the meanest little buggers I have ever seen. I can't walk into their run without them attacking my feet. Thank goodness they are little guys
smile.png

I'm going to disagree on the second pic. Both roos are Blue Reds, one is just lighter than the other. Look at the lower portion of the wing that is visible. See the red in the primaries, on the tip of the wing? That makes him a duckwing, and thus, a Blue Red. Lemon Blues are crow wings, in that all feathers below the wingbow are the same color.

If you really wanted to get technical, they both look more like Blue Wheatons to me, because of the color red they have. They are both nice birds, regardless of where the red came from, but I'm partial to the lighter blue. That's the color blue I like, or maybe just a tad darker. You would be amazed at what dubbing would do for both of them.

Last edited:
Sorry for taking so long to reply, been very busy on the farm lately. I had to lookup dubbing and can't quite figure out why that would be done. What is the reason for dubbing?

Sorry for taking so long to reply, been very busy on the farm lately. I had to lookup dubbing and can't quite figure out why that would be done. What is the reason for dubbing?
It is required of any OEGB past November of the year he was hatched for showing. But I dub all my (male) birds for another reason. OEGB are prone to frostbite, for some reason. I've had some really nasty combs I've had to dub in the dead of winter. I'd just as soon do it when it is warm. Plus, many like the look of a dubbed bird. If none of those things apply to you, there is absolutely no reason for dubbing.

Back
Top Bottom