Does anyone know what kind of rooster I have?

Jenniloo

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2015
Can anyone tell me what kind of rooster my Patches is? Or do you think he's a mix? He's the best rooster I've ever had but I've never seen any others like him.

I think it's most likely he's a mixed breed. This is a common enough coloring to get when you mix a barred bird and possibly a buff (Orpington, with those white legs I'm thinking), maybe with something Red in the mix, maybe not. Yes, there's a similarity to a Bielefelder, but they're still quite rare in the US. Unless you live near a breeder who culled him, it's not very likely. He's absolutely gorgeous and should make beautiful babies if you put him over buff, red or barred hens.

While your bird resembles a Bielefelder, I prefer to subscribe to the "when you hear hoof beats, think horses" way of looking at this. Because of the relative rarity of the breed, it is less likely that your bird is a purebred Bielefelder and much more likely that he is the more common result of mixed breeding with barred genes in play.

While your bird resembles a Bielefelder, I prefer to subscribe to the "when you hear hoof beats, think horses" way of looking at this. Because of the relative rarity of the breed, it is less likely that your bird is a purebred Bielefelder and much more likely that he is the more common result of mixed breeding with barred genes in play.

X2.

He is very pretty. Though he has a bad case of frost bite.
hmm.png

I agree.

I think it's most likely he's a mixed breed. This is a common enough coloring to get when you mix a barred bird and possibly a buff (Orpington, with those white legs I'm thinking), maybe with something Red in the mix, maybe not. Yes, there's a similarity to a Bielefelder, but they're still quite rare in the US. Unless you live near a breeder who culled him, it's not very likely. He's absolutely gorgeous and should make beautiful babies if you put him over buff, red or barred hens.

I agree.

He came to me that way. He was given to me by a guy that kept chickens as a hobby. He special ordered them but his neighbors began complaining about the crowing. He came to me with a barred rock rooster that I found a new home for.

Back
Top Bottom