Brooder light on timer? (Not The Heat Lamp)

rrector2005

Hatching
Jan 26, 2015
North Carolina
Hello everyone, I am new to the chicken community. I purchased 10- 3 week old Barred Rocks yesterday here locally. I am currently brooding them in a spare room of my home using a heat lamp(250w). I just ordered a EcoGlo heater to get away from using a heat lamp 24/7. My question is, do I need to buy a red light bulb (non heat) and put it on a timer for my chicks? The room stays fairly dark trough out the day. Also, any other advice will be helpful.
Thanks in advance!

Turkenstein25pizapw1420585505.jpg

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Congrats on your new babies!! I keep some Barred Rocks. I think you will enjoy keeping this breed. Great layers and friendly too!

If the eco glow does not provide light then yes you will need to add light to the brooder area. They can go through the night in the dark as long as they have heat. But during the day they will need plenty of light.

Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of good articles on all the aspects of keeping poultry. I will include an article on raising your babies too here...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Enjoy your new babies and if you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

I would add light, for at least 12 hours a day. Good luck with your chicks! Barred Rocks should lay very well for you when they get older.

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!

The EcoGlow will provide plenty of heat, but the chicks will still need supplemental light during the daytime.

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom