New to BYC with first flock

DeniceP

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 19, 2015
I got my first chicks in October. I didn't realize how hard it was going to be! I don't know if I'd do it again, even though I've gotten so attached to my chickens. Two of the four turned out to be roosters and a I had a very bad experience trying to introduce a new hen. Whew! The last two weeks have been stressful.:(

Last edited:
I live in Michigan and when it is really cold, I have my new chicks in the guest bathroom. The noise and clean up is easy to handle at such a young age, and what's really easy is... bonding with cute little chicks that "need" you to check on them every hour!
I totally know better, and of course I'm now conflicted. Right now I have 3 that are days old. Number one, sweet little chick. Number two, tough break out of the shell so it got extra attention. Then two days later, number three. I put cute little number three in with the others, and number two went ballistic. It's making life hell for the others. It pecks at eyes, grabs toes and shakes them (including it's own) The darn thing never sleeps. It's such a bully and I don't like it. I try, but then it does something mean. So...I feel your pain. Hang in there.
It's not easy singling out a "bad" bird(s), but think of how much more enjoyable a docile flock would be. The birds can't change the dynamics for themselves, they count on you for it.

What else is making things so hard? Maybe I can help...

Thanks. I'm a worrier, so it makes things harder. I worried about them being cold when I put them outside, I worried about the dog scaring them, I worried about the roosters and now I'm worried about the poor little hen that got taken away from her flock to get beaten up and sit in a cage by herself. I hope things go okay for her. I'm not worried about the rooster anymore though, since I saw them being so mean.

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

Good luck with your birds! It can certainly be very stressful at first. Hopefully, you'll be able to settle down and enjoy them soon!
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about the problems you've been having.
hugs.gif
Good luck with your birds!

If you have any questions, please ask! We'll be happy to help as much as we can.

Back
Top Bottom