Duck being punished by one other!! help!

forgate1

Hatching
Jan 27, 2015
Hello, I'm new to this forum so pls bear with me.
I have three ducks all from ducklings and they are now fully grown. We were told they were all females however we have since realised we definitely have a Male.
They've been living happily for months as a three, however this week the maoe has seriously been targeting of the otherS, I can only assume the other is also a male as it's cercertainly not in a mating way... It's physically targeting, not letting the duck on the pond, chasing him/her away every time it comes close.
Anyone seen this before? Any advise for me please...silly I know but I'm finding incredibly uupsetting to watch and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do...
Please any views would be appreciated.

welcome-byc.gif
Sadly enough what you are seeing is pretty normal duck behavior. We are rapidly approaching the breeding season, and the dominant drake does not want the subordinate near his mate. It's natures way of assuring that HIS genes get to carry on. As long as the subordinate is not being physically injured and is getting enough to eat he should be fine. Adding another hen might or might not help the situation.

Thank you, there are some feathers about but he/she doesn't seem to be hurt And does seem to be eating ok at the minute.
I had considered a new female, however concerned the alpha male will take ownership of her aswell and make things worse... Silly I know as it's all normal but I can't help but fret... Love my little ducks. Thanks again for the response.

It's very possible that the dominant drake would claim both hens. Poultry society can frequently appear cruel, but 'it is what it is'. Your concern is totally understandable.

Back
Top Bottom