Call Hens Laying In The PM.

duckmeister

Songster
9 Years
Oct 13, 2014
Red Bluff, California
Have 16 call hens I've been letting out of the hen house late mornings to roam around the yard and free range, have started to get a few eggs in the hen house nest boxes in the mornings. Tonight i was herding the hens into the henhouse when a hen stopped and dropped an egg to my surprise. I've always thought it gospel that ducks lay in the mornings.
Going to keep them penned up all day if they are going to be laying eggs all over the place at all times of day. Was this an unusual occurance to lay in the evening, or am i gonna need to keep these girls penned up all day?

It's abnormal for ducks to lay eggs in the evening, if it continues they will be locked up 24/7 and will no longer be allowed to free range. There are a million hidden places they could be laying. I spent hundreds of $ purchasing Holderread drakes for these hens, i can't afford to let them lay in the afternoons or evenings free ranging. In 50 years of raising ducks, this is the first time I've known of a hen to lay at 5pm in the evening.

Guess I better go have a chat with my ducks, then.
hide.gif

Every now and then a duck will lay an egg during the day, or during the evening. Little things can bump their body clocks.
X2. It's just like with humans. Things can happen that cause the cycle to get thrown off. I've personally had my ducks lay in the afternoon on several occasions over the years.

W o w . You have 16 Call hens? That's wonderful and will be exciting when their eggs begin to hatch. Are the female Calls louder the more you have or is it really just the same as having a few? I have three Calls (2 males and 1 female) and I just love them! :) I want another 2 this spring. Where do you live?

Back
Top Bottom