Getting first Muscovies soon... With Bumblefoot.

Pent

Songster
7 Years
Apr 23, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
I'm getting some white Muscovies soon, after much thinking and deliberation over my slug issue and love of natural gardening. They do have some remaining Bumblefoot, but I'm pretty confident I can handle it. Their current owner is taking good care of the problem as well. Still, this is two firsts, with the species and the ailment, and any advice would be welcome. Aside from the natural "only get healthy birds" advice, I'm ignoring that one.
The more I read about these ducks the more I love them, knobbly faces and all. Especially the quiet factor. Silence is a virtue, in backyard fowl. I am somewhat concerned about my gooseberries; will the ducks eat the sawfly larvae, or just strip the berries? I'm also growing Rhubarb, will they know to avoid the poisonous leaves, or should I fence them off now? Would be a shame, because thats where the slugs seem to be breeding. That area is where the firewood gets chucked over the retaining wall, so its all bark and wood chips. Slug heaven.
How often would I let them out to forage to keep the bad bugs down, but still allow for pollinators? I'm afraid they'll eat all the lovely bumblebees. Fewer yellowjackets and ants would be nice though. Plus I don't want to stress them by keeping them more confined than they would like.

I have found playing it by ear, spending time with the ducks, watching how they go about things works for us. I have Runners and Buffs.

The Runners have eliminated all but a few of the slugs. I let them around rhubarb, but watch them to make sure they don't start nomming on the leaves. The rhubarb is outside their regular pen area.

Will you be continuing the treatment they are receiving for bumblefoot? Would you be willing to share what that is? There are a few different ways that work.

Yes I will continue to treat their feet; currently they are getting saline rinses and polysporin applied, bandages and clean bedding. one duck has mostly recovered, the other still has some infection. I do plan to modify treatment and use an epsome salt soak coupled with polysporin, or possibly clear iodine followed by coconut oil.

Yes I will continue to treat their feet; currently they are getting saline rinses and polysporin applied, bandages and clean bedding. one duck has mostly recovered, the other still has some infection. I do plan to modify treatment and use an epsome salt soak coupled with polysporin, or possibly clear iodine followed by coconut oil.
Makes sense to me. Thanks for sharing - that's how we build our community's knowledge base.

Here they are; and advice/ corrections on their quarantine/hospital house welcome. Its in the shed, and I did my best to keep them from getting their bedding damp; didn't think that would be conducive to healing. Its 6' long by 2' wide, just temporary until they're healed.

They are eating fermented feed, and an entire wall of the house is slats like this. They actually open up entirely; its a reused cabinet door. The quarantine is in the shed, so no draughts. I left a box at one end so they could hide if they wanted to, but they seem to ignore it for the most part.

The water was deeper than it looks, but I filled it up more tonight so they can really get their heads in there. Shallower was easier to keep up with regular water changes, but turns out clean heads are more important than me not spilling duck water.

You might want to try Nu-Stock on their Bumbles. It is a sulfur ointment that heals infections VERY nicely! Our ducks have had trouble with Bumbles, but after a month (or so) of applying Nu-Stock, most of them had healed!

Doing well, pedicures all around! I had to do something about those scythes attached to innocent looking paddle feet. A nice long foot soak in warm water and epsom salts, one duck's feet look almost normal, so I just did a coconut oil rub over the whole foot, concentrating on the slightly scabbed areas, the other got the coconut oil on one foot, and some more polysporin and bandages on the other. Healing up nicely, though. I did top up the water, changing it tonight as its a tad cloudy.

Back
Top Bottom