How much grass should my hens eat?

Scott16475

Songster
5 Years
May 4, 2014
Minneapolis/St. Paul Metro
Hi. Our four hens 'free range' in the back half of our yard (the yard is fenced in half to keep the girls in the back) and over time, they have eaten and scratched that back half of the yard completely clean of any grass. From time to time, I will open the gate and let the girls roam in the front half of the backyard so they have the ability to eat grass but I don't do it too often as I don't want to lose all of the lawn.

My question is, how important is it that they eat grass and how often should I let them have access? I was thinking of throwing down grass seed this spring once the snow melts but I doubt it will have the opportunity to grow.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Thank you!

They don't need grass. They destroy most of it scratching in the dirt looking for treats. They will eat some grass but not a significant amount. You can dump your grass clippings for them to pick through. The only way to reestablish the grass area would be to restrict access to the area for the growing season but they will quickly destroy it again if it's not a large enough area to support them.

Last edited:
They don't need grass. They destroy most of it scratching in the dirt looking for treats. They will eat some grass but not a significant amount. You can dump your grass clippings for them to pick through. The only way to reestablish the grass area would be to restrict access to the area for the growing season but they will quickly destroy it again if it's not a large enough area to support them.
Ah, that makes complete sense. I won't stress about them not having access to grass most days. Thanks for the reply, Percheron Chick!

Back
Top Bottom