Processing in Georgia USA

GAchickennewbie

Songster
5 Years
Apr 2, 2014
Northeast GA
I'm researching raising my own birds for meat. Before I jump into this, I need to know if it's feasible for me.

I don't have the ability to process them myself. Are there processing facilities around Northeast GA?

What all is involved in raising them? My goal would be to give them a wonderful life with plenty of space, possibly free-ranging them (after quarantine) if I can do it without putting my laying hens in danger. If free-ranging isn't possible, I would need to build them a large tractor coop or supplement their feed with fodder so they have lots of nutrition.

Hi presently Georgia has no meat processing plants for small farmers or individuals. We are waiting for one to open in our area, but still not finished:) I understand there is one in kentucky where appointments can be made .If you are interested in selling the birds, you would need to talk with folks at Ga dept of Ag to see what sort of requirements they have in order to be a vendor and storage, labelling, etc. :) Hope this helps! Attached is an older document about on the farm processing in case that is an option for you. http://georgiaorganics.org/wp-conte...ds/SiteMoveOver/On-FarmProcessingLegalDoc.pdf

Hi presently Georgia has no meat processing plants for small farmers or individuals. We are waiting for one to open in our area, but still not finished:) I understand there is one in kentucky where appointments can be made .If you are interested in selling the birds, you would need to talk with folks at Ga dept of Ag to see what sort of requirements they have in order to be a vendor and storage, labelling, etc. :) Hope this helps! Attached is an older document about on the farm processing in case that is an option for you. http://georgiaorganics.org/wp-conte...ds/SiteMoveOver/On-FarmProcessingLegalDoc.pdf

Where is the nearest processing plant? Is there one in North Alabama or South Carolina? Kentucky would be a long drive for me.

I would only be processing for myself and my family, not wanting to sell them.

Hey! I am also in NE GA (Cleveland), and own a small farm complete with heritage breed chickens, ducks, guineas, turkeys, and hogs! I process all of my birds on the farm. It's quite easy, though you would need a turkey fryer to be able to scald the birds. Don't underestimate yourself!
If you are looking to resell off the farm, you would need to get them processed at an outside facility that is USDA inspected, like Blalock's up in Rabun Gap. The last time I checked, they wanted $4.50 a bird to process them, and the cost is just too much for me.
There are laws allowing on farm sales and processing of under 1,000 birds a year, I believe.
Hope this helps!

I did not know that there was a plant now processing meat in GA. Yes, that price is steep for non resell but glad there is something now for those who wish to sell to the public or as a service where they cannot process. This is New news. The last time I went to grocery and saw the price of organic chicken I did a double take, but again, we don't buy much meat and we homestead. Here's the link of 1/12/15 announcing plant is processing chicken. http://blalockmeat.com/news-and-events/new-post-title/ Thanks Mossy Creek for the info.

I did not know that there was a plant now processing meat in GA.  Yes, that price is steep for non resell but glad there is something now for those who wish to sell to the public or as a service where they cannot process. This is New news. The last time I went to grocery and saw the price of organic chicken I did a double take, but again, we don't buy much meat and we homestead.   Here's the link of 1/12/15 announcing plant is processing chicken. http://blalockmeat.com/news-and-events/new-post-title/   Thanks Mossy Creek for the info.  

Glad I could be of some help!
Yes, organic chicken is through the roof, and the sad thing is is that the majority of the time, the only difference between conventional chicken and those with the organic label is what they are fed, so the quality of life doesn't improve.

Back
Top Bottom