What are some cold-hardy, friendly breeds that get along with Australorps?

laschai

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 18, 2015
So, I thought I wouldn't have chickens for another few years when I'm living on my own, but my mom grew up on a farm and says we can get chickens. I live in Massachusetts, so I definitely need cold-hardy breeds and I have a 10 year old sister so they have to be friendly. My sister is about as sensitive as the average 5 year old. It doesn't matter what color egg or how many they produce, although an assortment of colors would be cool. I know we want some Australorps but I want some variety.

Easter Eggers or Ameracaunas, they have short little pea combs so their comb doesn't really get frost bitten, oh and their big. I have an Ameracuana and she has virtually went through any sort of winter weather, -10 with blizzards, she was fine. They're also good in the heat. Most of the time the breed is friendly. Mine is super sweet.

Orpingtons, Brahmas, Cochins, and Sussex are all very cold hardy breeds that have a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle. My children made lap pets of all of these breeds.

Back
Top Bottom