Found worms yesterday

chickenchick99

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 16, 2014
Vancouver Island, Canada
Yesterday I found two worms in one chicken poop. They were twice the length of a grain of rice but definitely moving (I have only read about tapeworm egg sacks looking like grains of rice but cannot find any info on worms matching this description). I did a thorough search off all the poop I scooped and found nothing else. Do I need to deworm my whole flock? I have never dewormed and live in Canada so am not sure if I have access to all of the meds you guys use. Will go to the farm store later and see what they have.
Any clue what I might be dealing with? Will go to the same perch now and see if I can see anything again and perhaps snap a photo.
I don't even vaccinate or use meds on my children so I am one of those people who would hate to give meds to chickens :)

Is it above freezing there? No, I didn't think so. Tape worm segments are what you're probably seeing. I think that you'll need a specific med to get rid of them. From my foggy memory, common round worm meds don't usually work on tape worms, but the literature with the med should tell you.

Lazy gardener, it is currently t-shirt weather. Has not been below freezing since the beginning of December

Oh and I thoroughly went through every poop out there today (25 chickens and 3 turkeys) not a thing in any poop other than pulpy half digested grass

Last edited:
Can you take a poop sample to a nearby vet for them to look at under microscope? If it was perhaps a fly maggot, then you have no worries at all. If it's not a fly maggot, then the vet will identify exactly what parasite and what treatment, if any, to consider. Dying from a worm infestation would be a pretty sad way to go.

That's a great idea. If I find it again (I've looked closely everyday) I will look. There were a few flies around and we have cows, sometimes they go into their stall and peck around.
There's definitely not an "infestation" here and I always keep a watchful eye on poop :)

Back
Top Bottom