Natural way to prevent/treat mite and lice infestations

MossyCreek

Chirping
Jan 28, 2015
N.E. Georgia
I'm looking for a natural way to help keep mites and lice in check in my flock. I know Sevin works, I've tried it. Just looking for a more natural/chemical free alternative. And no, I'm not interested in anything to do with DE. Thanks!

I think I've heard that if you rub orange peels on roosts, it keeps mites away because of the citric acid in the peels.

I think the spray would work, actually, come to think of it I did read that spray made of citric acid works.

I wonder if a citronella spray on the roosts would work, like citronella fly sprays for horses.

Personally I use DE and so does my neighbour and we both find it works well but I appreciate the dangers of the dust. I don't think we have Sevin dust here in the UK, so our options are limited. My mother used to use Stockholm tar at the end of each roost, but I'm not sure if you can still get that these days (I still have an old tin of it I inherited) but you have to be careful not to get it on your clothes.

I wonder if a citronella spray on the roosts would work, like citronella fly sprays for horses.

Personally I use DE and so does my neighbour and we both find it works well but I appreciate the dangers of the dust. I don't think we have Sevin dust here in the UK, so our options are limited. My mother used to use Stockholm tar at the end of each roost, but I'm not sure if you can still get that these days (I still have an old tin of it I inherited) but you have to be careful not to get it on your clothes. 

I have never heard of Stockholm tar, though I can imagine what it smells like! I'm sure it would run any critter off :p

From what I understand, Stockholm tar was pretty much the cure all remedy on a farm during the early half of the 20th century. Cuts and wounds were coated in it to seal them and prevent fly attack, bad feet were dipped in it and packed or bound with hessian etc. I would guess it is a pine based tar which will have antibacterial properties. It is really like a thick treacle consistency creosote. Any mites would be unable to walk through it even if they weren't overcome by the volatile smell. Personally I love the smell.

Thinking along the same lines, perhaps coating the ends of the roosts in a thick layer of Vaseline would work especially if you blended it with some citrus oil.

From what I understand, Stockholm tar was pretty much the cure all remedy on a farm during the early half of the 20th century. Cuts and wounds were coated in it to seal them and prevent fly attack, bad feet were dipped in it and packed or bound with hessian etc. I would guess it is a pine based tar which will have antibacterial properties. It is really like a thick treacle consistency creosote. Any mites would be unable to walk through it even if they weren't overcome by the volatile smell. Personally I love the smell.

Thinking along the same lines, perhaps coating the ends of the roosts in a thick layer of Vaseline would work especially if you blended it with some citrus oil.  

That's a great idea. Hmmm...it's gotten the hamster in the wheel kicking! :p

I use citronella very sparingly in the nest boxes. If you have a coop infestation, you need to do a total clean out of the coop and nest boxes, (preferably burning the litter) and wash and treat the coop, and treat the chickens as well. this needs to be followed by a second clean out/treatment 7 - 10 days later to get any mites that hatch after the first clean out. In your southern climate/warm weather, I'm guessing that mite/lice control is an ongoing issue. If you set up a barrier at the ends of your perches, that will help protect the birds at night. I wish you the best with a very difficult problem. Do a thread search regarding the use of Ivermectin pour on.

I think I've heard that if you rub orange peels on roosts, it keeps mites away because of the citric acid in the peels.

Do you have more info on this? I know citric acid is an inert ingredient in mite treatments with potassium sorbate as the active ingredient. (I have lots of crystalline citric acid and would love to find other uses for it.) Orange oil is used a lot as a repellent so maybe that's the key chemical in orange peels.

Back
Top Bottom