Frindizzle

Guitar Girl <3
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jul 3, 2014
Washington State
My Coop
My Coop
I am starting to think my Silkie is deaf. I first want to say she is from Wilco and she has an extra toe and she keeps running into trees, so I'm thinking it is possible.

Today I did a test. She was the only one who didn't react to me snapping by her ear. I tried with 6 other of my chickens, who all reacted.

When I call, she is usually the last one to come running.
Anyways, my question is, does anyone think she is deaf? Does anyone have ideas on how I can figure out if she is really deaf?

Here is a picture I got of her a few days ago.

Thanks for all replies!

Last edited:
I would just try noise tests. She could more than not, be deaf..

I tried that snapping one today. Do you recommend any other ones?
idunno.gif

Try and separate her then screech. See if she will react then. If you keep her with the others to see her reaction she might just do what the others are doing so I would say to separate her for testing.

That's a great idea. I'll do it tomorrow, (Right now it is dark) and I'll tell you what happens. :)

If she is running into trees, she may be blind in one eye. When you snap she may be trying to listen to what comes next and staying still to do so. See how she reacts (alone) to dropping treats from a distance, like 20 feet) slow,unsure? See how accurate she picks up feed on the ground right in front of her, does she miss? If you find all that to be ok, take her somewhere alone and bang two pots together from behind (not too close) and see if she reacts. That's all I can think of, I hope it helps.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom