Giving chicks to a broody hen?

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
11 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
I won't be getting chicks for awhile yet, but I can't help but get excited about it. :) I usually have at least 2 or 3 broodies and wondered if I could use them as foster mommas. I am going to get 10 chicks from my TSC on March 7th and am wondering if I can smuggle them under her. I've been looking up different threads here and think I get the gist of it. You slip the chicks under the broody hen at night, and make sure to check on them early in the morning to make sure they are accepted. Right? I have a couple questions though...Is March too cold (In north Iowa) to have a hen and chicks out in the coop? Also, could 1 hen manage ten chicks? Is there a way to "make" a hen broody? (Or should I say, encourage?) I heard that aluminum foil helps them get broody. Also. if I do get a broody hen, should I separate her from the others before I add the chicks?

I've never had a broody hen refuse foster chicks using the system that you describe. I've only fostered chicks to hens that have been setting a minimum of 2 weeks. Provided with a dry draft free place the chicks should do fine. I have had hens raise chicks in the NJ winters where temperatures are frequently in the 20's. A full sized hen should be readily capable of brooding 10 chicks in the cold weather and far more under warmer circumstances. Aluminum foil only works if you make little hats out of it.
tongue.png
Given the time of year and possible temperature fluctuations, I would separate the hen from the flock at least until the chicks start to feather out. Good luck, and have fun.

Back
Top Bottom