My first sick chicken!?!

Onebroodymomma

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 19, 2014
I have not been a chicken owner very long, and am in total shock. We have a sick chicken.

It is one of our barred rock hens, she normally does not let anyone get close to her let alone touch her. So that was the first sign. I noticed she was not running so I picked her up (with zero struggle, again unlike her) and her eyes look all swollen and drippy, as well as some dripping from her beak.

She also just smells.... off.

What do I do? HELP!

Sorry to hear about your sick chicken. Some things that will help folks help you:
Post a closeup pic if you can
What does her poo look like?
Is she eating/drinking (have you SEEN her eat/drink)?
How is she walking-are her wings down, tail down-does she walk like a penguin?
How old is she?
If she's been laying, has she suddenly stopped laying?
What color are her comb/wattles?
What does her breathing sound like-normal, raspy, wet?
Is her crop full or empty? Does it feel squishy?
How is her breath-rancid sour smell?
The dripping-what color is it?

I know it's a lot of questions, but it's answers to them that will help the folks on here in aiding you to figuring out what may be wrong and the best way to help her.

Sorry to hear about your sick chicken. Some things that will help folks help you:
Post a closeup pic if you can
What does her poo look like?
Is she eating/drinking (have you SEEN her eat/drink)?
How is she walking-are her wings down, tail down-does she walk like a penguin?
How old is she?
If she's been laying, has she suddenly stopped laying?
What color are her comb/wattles?
What does her breathing sound like-normal, raspy, wet?
Is her crop full or empty? Does it feel squishy?
How is her breath-rancid sour smell?
The dripping-what color is it?

I know it's a lot of questions, but it's answers to them that will help the folks on here in aiding you to figuring out what may be wrong and the best way to help her.

I just went out and put her in a separate pen.
I am not sure what her poo is looking like, I will know later today because she was separated.
I have not seen her eat or drink, I was out giving some scraps and she was not seeming interested. I do know she was eating yesterday. I have not actually seen her eat today
She is around 3, not sure if she is laying or not.
From what I heard, her breathing sounded normal. I am going to have to take a closer look.

When I looked closer, she had a clearish drip from the beak but her eyes are a junkyish yellow. I will attach a pic.

To get an idea of how she's sounding, go near your other birds and whistle. Then stop and listen. They'll all stop making noise and listen for another whistle. You'll be able to hear them breathing and compare it to your sick girl.
How's her weight? Does she seem thin?
Does her breath smell funky (define.. "off" if you can-sour? musty? )
How long has she been this way and are any other birds showing any similar symptoms?

I was out hanging with the chickens yesterday and on one was acting this way. None of the other chickens have any eye or beak goop either. They are also all happily eating.

She did not seem to be low on weight, issue is she is one of the ones we never handle. we have two barred rocks and they are just not a huge fan of anyone getting close to them.

When I carried her back out to our other pen, she was smelling more than I thought. It is a fairly rancid smell. I was thinking I was making it up at first, due to pregnancy nose.

I would suggest that you read up on SOUR CROP as your first theory...it can be resolved with care...

She may be suffering from any number of issues....it is hard sometimes to determine the cause..it may be due to a respiratory illness...however, I would suspect with a rancid smell it is likely to be sour crop.

Back
Top Bottom