Dreaming of buying a "homestead"

nayeli

Songster
6 Years
Jan 18, 2014
I have to admit I'm going a little crazy here. Last year hubby and I bought a house where we are now. We disagreed, he has never lived in the country, so was really nervous of septic systems. We wound up buying a outdated house that is in a subdivision in the country on 1/3 of an acre. We can have any animals that fit on our parcel if we are okay with being the jerk neighbors... and they can go in the front yard (jerk wolf dog!)! It's not ideal! Not to mention hubby's job decided they were moving right after we bought (and why we bought).

I'm looking up moving to other places like a crazy lady! I have spent way to many HOURS on landwatch.com! I've been looking in areas my husband would consider moving (he is a momma's/daddies boy and won't move far from them). Then if I see something in the price range I want to stay in that I like then I'll look for a opening in his field nearby, if there is nothing I move on!

In his prime pick location I found something! It would mean about an hour commute to work (but he would work 4 days a week, longer hours). The property also is overpriced IMO. There is no house on the property, but there is a building I think might be convertable! It's a barn that features a 400 sq ft apartment, TINY!

I'm going crazy! I've never seen this place other than online and I'm already looking up comps to try to get the price down (I mean really its land with an outbuilding...) and I'm pricing how much a conversion would cost. I've drawn a rough layout based on the estimated sq ft of the whole building. I've priced some materials and estimated costs on labor etc on things I would probably need to pay someone else to do! I've even looked at our savings accounts to figure out how much money we have to do things right away to make the situation liveable.

This place is on over 10 acres which is PERFECT! I'm not super crazy about another remodel because here is our current house projects over the last year: http://thenewdaybringshope.blogspot.com/2015/01/2014-diy-home-improvements.html It's a great before and after shot, but a LOT of work.

I'd have to get the price down 20% off list or more, and we don't have jobs there yet... and I've been completely planning things out. I also would have to get an inspection, building codes, permits etc.

I'm going crazy... I can't wait to escape to the country!

I've also started a list of animals I want to raise, along with some of the breeds that I'm interested in. I've been looking at sustainable farming practices, organic farming, and planning a farm!

Please tell me I'm not the only one!

Well good luck! My family and I also have a dream about being homesteaders, a large garden, more chickens (we already have 5), more rabbits, alpaca and a few goats.
I think if we found the right land we would happily take the leap.

I am halfway done building a tiny house( just over 400 square feet including two lofts) on 15 acres I own, I planted some cherry trees last year only one made it. I have been building a serious seed collection, I am up to about 115 different veggies and herbs. we don't live at the house so I cant really have animals yet but I dream of some big old goats too many chickens and guineas for sure, a couple geese , some angora rabbits , and pigs! can't forget pigs , guinea hogs. We dont have any building restrictions here, only permit you need to build is one for installing a septic tank, i didn't want to deal with that permit either so I am just building a separate composting toilet building. I am also building our kitchen separate from the main tiny house, we have been thinking about converting an old gazebo into a cute little kitchen building.

I am halfway done building a tiny house( just over 400 square feet including two lofts) on 15 acres I own, I planted some cherry trees last year only one made it. I have been building a serious seed collection, I am up to about 115 different veggies and herbs. we don't live at the house so I cant really have animals yet but I dream of some big old goats too many chickens and guineas for sure, a couple geese , some angora rabbits , and pigs! can't forget pigs , guinea hogs. We dont have any building restrictions here, only permit you need to build is one for installing a septic tank, i didn't want to deal with that permit either so I am just building a separate composting toilet building. I am also building our kitchen separate from the main tiny house, we have been thinking about converting an old gazebo into a cute little kitchen building.
I would LOVE to see it! I've looked into tiny houses, I like the premise but I don't think it would work for me and it 100% wouldn't work for my husband! My husband needs more space, and we want to have kids which require some space! I like this property I'm looking at because it already has a apartment area, and the rest of the building could be converted into living space.

i wil get good pics from malady later, you don't need much room for children, just free-range them lol, my mom was raised in a 20 X 20 house with her 7 siblings, dad, and stepmom, it was a kitchen , living room, bedroom and a bathroom with a full attic. it was turned into a chicken coop after her family moved out . they spent most of there time roaming the mountains of Kentucky they didn't need a big house.

I figure we will spend a lot more time outside and use the house mostly for sleeping and staying out of bad weather. I am going to build more tiny houses, it's a lot of fun, the next one will be bigger

talk with the neighbors before you sign a contract, they will most likely tell you the truth about the land, power lines, eminent domain, oil or gas pipelines, bad water or no water, trash service.........
try and find a book in the library, "Finding and buying your place in the country"

i wil get good pics from malady later, you don't need much room for children, just free-range them lol, my mom was raised in a 20 X 20 house with her 7 siblings, dad, and stepmom, it was a kitchen , living room, bedroom and a bathroom with a full attic. it was turned into a chicken coop after her family moved out . they spent most of there time roaming the mountains of Kentucky they didn't need a big house.

I figure we will spend a lot more time outside and use the house mostly for sleeping and staying out of bad weather. I am going to build more tiny houses, it's a lot of fun, the next one will be bigger
Where we live in summer it is way to hot to be out ALL day! I can't wait to see it.

Tiny houses can sell for a bit of money! A lot of people like the idea of a custom small house that they won't have a mortgage on for years, not to mention the freedom of moving with that house!

talk with the neighbors before you sign a contract, they will most likely tell you the truth about the land, power lines, eminent domain, oil or gas pipelines, bad water or no water, trash service.........
try and find a book in the library, "Finding and buying your place in the country"
I will stop by the library tomorrow. We can't do anything to move forward unless and until my husband gets a job up there though =/ so I'm scheming and hoping!

Back
Top Bottom