Chicks lost in transit

Dixiearcher

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 9, 2015
I ordered my first batch of chicks a while back from ideal. They shipped out Monday and when I called today ( Wednesday), the tracking info said they were not expected until Friday! We had some bad weather this past weekend so I am assuming that was the holdup. Can I expect any of these chicks to be alive when they show up? I ordered 9 chicks and ideal throws in some packing peanuts...

Have you called your local post office to let them know they are coming?
They may not have been shipped until Monday evening. You can't always go by the tracking info. The chicks should be okay until tomorrow. Fingers Crossed! Let us know how they are when they come in.
hmm.png

I have called the post office and the guy is a friend of mine. He offered to call as soon as they showed up so I could come pick them up.praying for tomorrow and not Friday...

Last edited:
I ordered my first batch of chicks a while back from ideal. They shipped out Monday and when I called today ( Wednesday), the tracking info said they were not expected until Friday! We had some bad weather this past weekend so I am assuming that was the holdup. Can I expect any of these chicks to be alive when they show up? I ordered 9 chicks and ideal throws in some packing peanuts...
My guess is that you will not have many surviving chicks. Where are you located? I am guessing someplace that is socked in by the weather we have been having all around the country. Three days (max. four) is about all chicks can take without water unless someone took them and fed and watered them which I doubt since that would be tampering with the mail. Does your tracking information actually say they were shipped on Monday or does it say that the shipping information was received on Monday. Ideal is usually pretty good about shipping and taking into consideration the weather in the receiving area so it could be that they have not actually shipped or that they are shipping now. And, when you do receive them, dead or alive, expect to have 10-15 male chicks included this time of year.

Depending on where you live, the weather could definitely be the delay. I cancelled an order last week after the snow storms hit because of worry about the cold and snow storms. Interestingly, the hatchery told me when I called to cancel the order that shipping wouldn't be a problem (It's double-digit below zero here with a foot of snow) and they'd just put more heat packs in. I finally convinced her that I live in a rural area and wouldn't be able to get off this hill to pick them up and they let me cancel. I don't trust any of them to know when to not ship in cold weather now.
I've had UPS packages - not live! - that have been "out for delivery" since the 14th and no mail since Monday. Even if it's not bad where you're picking up, there can be huge delays along the way. I hope this isn't what happened and that somehow the tracking is just off.

Well they showed up this morning instead of tomorrow but no use...no survivors. Well there was one technically when I opened the box but he didn't make it the five minutes home...sad day

Yeah we live in central Arkansas so not far from ideal. However our weather took a real nasty turn so there was no way they could have known...no complaints about customer service though. Talked to them today and they have already scheduled a reship date for next week, no questions asked. In fact, they were very apologetic

Back
Top Bottom