House and feral cats trying to snatch my chickens (pleaaassse help)

lothomson

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 2, 2015
Hi, I have a problem with a neighbor who feeds anything and EVERYTHING that steps into his backyard. Unfortunetly, that leaves me with a problem of feral cats, house cats, possums, rats, mice, and raccoons being 20 feet away from my chickens. The only barrier is a wooden fence that I have seen cats chilling out on. So, it's not much of a barrier... I live in a suburban area, so I can't shoot or kill any of these animals. I have heard of using an herb called "rue" to repell the cats...does it work? Is it safe for my chickens to eat/touch?? Is it safe for ME to eat/touch?? (you never know, you might inhale something). PLEASE I need advice, I would feel embarressed to ask my neighbor to stop, we don't know him well and he doesn't know I have chickens and that they are like my BABIES.

Ugh, please help. I only have two chickens and I can't risk losing them. Also, I am planning on having my broody hen raise some chicks and I feel really uncomfortable and unsafe leaving them alone.

Any advice would be great :(

That does sound like a problem. cats generally won't harm bigger chickens but may harm smaller ones. If you have a run for them during the day that has around a 2m wall or a roof or is covered over and wire dug at least a foot into the ground, then you can keep a very watchful eye on them if you let them out into your yard. If you get a rooster that may help because we saw our rooster wildly chasing a cat and pecking its tail(we also live in a suburban area). Any other problems maybe visit chickenadvice.weebly.com

If you have a dog, I would build a dog house and let it stay outside for some of the day, ( but not all, i personally dont like when people do that, but whatever ) and see if it has any effect.. A good run is always a must too

That does sound like a problem. cats generally won't harm bigger chickens but may harm smaller ones. If you have a run for them during the day that has around a 2m wall or a roof or is covered over and wire dug at least a foot into the ground, then you can keep a very watchful eye on them if you let them out into your yard. If you get a rooster that may help because we saw our rooster wildly chasing a cat and pecking its tail(we also live in a suburban area). Any other problems maybe visit chickenadvice.weebly.com

Hi, my family is terrified of getting a rooster strictly because of the noise and the chick production. Do you recommend any roo that is quieter but that will still protect my hens?

If you have a dog, I would build a dog house and let it stay outside for some of the day, ( but not all, i personally dont like when people do that, but whatever ) and see if it has any effect.. A good run is always a must too

Hi,
I have two LARGE dogs (a st. bernard and german shepherd) and they adore the chickens. They have free roam of the back yard and house but usually I see a cat before they do. They only react when I bang on the window to scare the cat(s) away.

oh. My dogs see a stinkbug near the coop they freak and try to catch it
yippiechickie.gif

Hi, my family is terrified of getting a rooster strictly because of the noise and the chick production. Do you recommend any roo that is quieter but that will still protect my hens? 

We did not mean to get a rooster and we did not want one but we just haven't really thought about it and it hasn't worried our neighbours as of yet. It is a buff Sussex and is very gentle to the hens. A strategy of keeping it quiet is just put it into a box of a night and maybe even put it into the garage in its box.

Sounds like you need a coop and run large enough to accommodate the number of chickens you want to keep....
.........and and secure enough to deter what ever predators are at hand..

Back
Top Bottom