chickens molting more than once a year

krusty50

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 9, 2013
I have a Buff Orpington who heavily molted late last fall; she had many bare spots, and we were pretty concerned for her general health. However, she slowly replaced the feathers, and all seemed well.
However, here we are at not quite the end of February, and she appears to be starting again. She doesn't act as though she is ill, but is slightly shy with her humans (she is usually happy to be petted), and slightly skittish around the other three hens. She is also putting herself to bed quite a while before they follow.
Should I restart the 'Feather Fixer' feed? Should I look for other problems? Any help would be so appreciated.

I have a Buff Orpington who heavily molted late last fall; she had many bare spots, and we were pretty concerned for her general health. However, she slowly replaced the feathers, and all seemed well.
However, here we are at not quite the end of February, and she appears to be starting again. She doesn't act as though she is ill, but is slightly shy with her humans (she is usually happy to be petted), and slightly skittish around the other three hens. She is also putting herself to bed quite a while before they follow.
Should I restart the 'Feather Fixer' feed? Should I look for other problems? Any help would be so appreciated.

could she maybe have mites?

Definitely inspect closely for pests by parting the feathers right down to the skins around the vent, head/neck and under wings. Use a strong light (and wear your glasses...lol).

Is she laying?
Do you have a rooster?

What are the nutrient levels of the feed you are using and what else are you feeding?

Thank you to those who replied to my question. It, indeed, was mites. We treated all four of our girls (two topical applications one week apart), and they are all now in much better health. The Buff Orpington has stopped losing feathers, and is once again laying eggs. The Rhode Island Red is replacing all her feathers around her vent, and everyone acts more vigorous. They are also much more vocal! : )
So grateful to see them in good health again.

Back
Top Bottom