Opinions on best egg layers

Steve P

Chirping
Feb 23, 2015
Breckenridge MI
Im getting back into raising chickens and was wondering thoughts on which breed to get for the most egg laying. I had RIR before and they were ok I had 9 birds but only got 6 eggs a day. What are everyones thoughts?

6 eggs a day out of 9 is a respectable laying rate. Not bad at all! Especially if you kept those chickens past the pullet year.

I like Black Australorps but they aren't quite as good as Red Sex Links for lay rate.

So Red Stars are what I would recommend for your situation if you just want pure egglaying. They are also called Golden Comets, etc.
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html

Last edited:
Red Sex Links and Black Australorps are my best layers. They lay 6 days out of the week if not 7. I've heard Leghorns are great layers as well but I've never owned one.

One of the Hybrid birds I like are red sexlinks and black sexlinks.
Black australorps were recorded the most eggs layed in a year (per).I be live it was more then 300!

I raise red birds mainly,but have a few others.

I have also found the Production red just as good.Search a few threads and there is plenty of information , on the bird.Production reds are a main breed I raise and have been laying the most.They have also been the most calmest and docilest.But black sexlinks are working their way up!

Red sexlinks.I honestly will say better then the Production red Hybrid,and lay more eggs.They also matured faster.I give them a total of a Hundred!

Thanks. Im also looking for a bird that isn't to mean either. We have a 2 1/2 year old grand daughter that I want to be able to collect eggs with us when shes here.

Production Red will lay an egg a Day! I had two and they were great. One got eaten but the one brown i have left now lays an egg for 3 weeks straight before taking a day Rest. Huge eggs. Horrible temper. Acts like a rooster, lead hen. Very bossy and comes right up to me, i love her and she is great but i wouldn't want more than one of them. (never molted in 2 yrs)

my Black Australop lays an egg daily, large size but smaller than brown and love everything about her, huge hen! gentle, sweet. maybe one day off every 2 is weeks (1 yr old never molted)

my easter egger lays great! 5 eggs a week, nice green color. amazing w the kids, gentle bird! (1 molt, 1 yr old) - med. eggs

My Barred rock passed away recently, 5 eggs a week, nice med. size eggs, had 1 molt in 1 yr and we recently added a barred rock chick again.

3 white leghorn, great egg layers. get about 2-3 white eggs daily, i don't know who lays them. guess is about 5-6 eggs a week from each hen. flighty, can't catch (one is friendly, the other two not) Even though i had one from chick she is the wildest! cannot be held or caught. Need their wings clipped or else they fly over the fence, up the tree etc. good for egg laying but not so much as a pet. (molt a lot! 2 times the past year, each lasting almost 8-10 weeks each)

Amount of eggs I get weekly from each hen:
Wyandottes: 7
Red sex-link: 6
Leghorn: 6
Buff orphington: 5
Silkies: 3

I never knew wyandottes layer so much, is it normal? My leghorn is very sweet, which isn't always the case unfortunately. I would say sex links are the way to go though, they are the best of both worlds when it comes to production and personality

I am no expert here, but our New Hampshire Red has laid an egg a day since she started laying. In a little less than a year she has maybe missed 3 or 4 days? I can honestly say I do not remember a day she didn't lay. She also lays XL eggs and frequently lays double yolkers. I have a 2.5 year old and a 5 year old who torture her with love and cuddles and she has never shown any aggression toward them.
Here is a picture from this morning of her latest double yolk egg. This one had to hurt! :)

Back
Top Bottom