Lost one of my Pekin ducks last night

dixygirl

Songster
11 Years
May 14, 2008
I have been away for quite a while but I've continued raising ducks.
I had 4 pekin ducks but last night something got into the duck cage and ate one of my babies. I was so sad this morning to go out and count 3 heads instead of 4.
Then I saw the one with its feet up in the air and eaten I was horrified..
I haven't had a lost in a few years since most of my old ducks were slaughtered by something.
I had them in a caged in wooden carport but then I moved.
So now I just made a cage with netting attached with zipties around the top. We had some snow down here in the South this past week and the tarp and netting on the top was weighed down over night revealing some gaps between the zip ties attaching the netting and tarp to the fencing. It was my fault for not getting the weight of the snow off of the tarp and adding some more zip ties around.

So now, I have to invest and get another carport with an actual roof to keep them safe.
This time down here they sell metal carports a lot on the side of the roads with metal roofs. So I will have one of those delivered to the house. I will put 6 foot fencing around that with zip ties tied closely to the metal posts on all sides. And then I walk around with a few bags of cement and will put cement mounds all around the structure, sealing it to the ground. Then spray the powder cement mounds with a spray bottle or lightly mist them with a hose. Once the cement is hard you will have a safe structure.

I have to do this because I absolutely can't handle going out finding my babies dead. It is too much for me.

Keep your babies safe everyone and best wishes.

hugs.gif
So sorry...

dixygirl I feel for you I had a scare last night I am in Sw ky with still a foot of snow. I have been hearing the coyotes last night they woke me up they were in my field. I ran out in my pjs and boots yelling and clapping my hands in 20 degree weather. they stopped I guess I scared them off. I was more worried about my donkeys ,my ducks are close to the house. both donkey were fine . talk about heart failure.

hugs.gif
So Sorry... We lost two of our babies last summer and I know how it hurts...

Everyone that reads this at least check over your defenses this week. A lot of areas have had some warm spells lately and many predators are coming out of hibernation and they are hungry.

So very sorry, and thank you for sharing this because sometimes we do let our guard down especially when we have gone for a long period of time with any problems. So you have helped us to remember how important it is to do everything we can to protect our flocks They depend on us. I hope you have them secured now until you can get your carport delivered and set up for them.
hugs.gif

The remaining three were just attacked tonight. I went out in time and sat in the truck and turned on the lights aimed at their house. But I eventually had to come back in. All 3 are bloody now. I think it would be best if they just finished them off now because I am sure they are suffering having been bitten attacked and fighting for their lives two nights in a row. I wish they go on to a better place. I won't get any more animals until I cage in a carport. I am up in age now myself past 50 so maybe it is time I give up raising ducks and chickens. It takes so much out of me to see my babies suffer like this.

dixygirl I feel for you I had a scare last night I am in Sw ky with still a foot of snow. I have been hearing the coyotes last night they woke me up they were in my field. I ran out in my pjs and boots yelling and clapping my hands in 20 degree weather. they stopped I guess I scared them off. I was more worried about my donkeys ,my ducks are close to the house. both donkey were fine . talk about heart failure.
Donkeydew. God bless you and your animals and try to keep safe out there. I just moved to NC and I've heard we have coyotes here too. I saw the eyes of the racoon inside the duck house tonight when I pointed my flashlight outside of the window. It is really horrifying to go through these things. God bless all of those who raise animals. May we all be safe.

As I surveyed out this morning, I saw no activity at all. I believe it is a waste land of death. The massacre that occurred last night must have been unthinkable. But at least I hope they are in a better place now. I hope my babies are now free of the miserable cycle of death and destruction. I hope they are free and happy to frolic fields and pastures with glee to their heart's content.
I raised all of these babies since they were 2 days old. Three of them would have been approximately 2 years old this Spring. One of them was from the last flock that was massacred years ago. That one lived with me through many winters up north. She should have been close to 10 years old.

My babies had a good life with me. But their time has come. I wish them peace in the other side.
Good bye my ducklings. I loved you.

I have no plans to get any more ducks now. I am still mourning the death of the others. I will not until I have a new carport caged in, if I do again.
Does anyone know a good method of killing raccoons? I would not want to bring any more precious creatures here with a group of raccoons living here. When I flashed the flash light into the eyes of that creature last night wreaking death and destruction on my babies, it was as if I saw the eyes of Satan himself flashing back at me. I can not bring any more babies here while these demons abound even with a caged, cemented carport.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness! is there anywhere you can bring them into? a basement, spare room.. i know ducks are messy little buggers and Pekin are large. Thoroughly examine each bird, i had a duck survive a coon attack, he had been horribly gashed open so it is possible!

I do get that feeling of being hopeless and fed up but you are aware of the problem and that knowledge is key to preventing it. Best of luck to you.

Have you gone and checked the birds?

Racoons, well they can be shot, trapped, poisoned... they are sneaky little buggers and quite capable of destroying pens, and the birds that live inside.

Back
Top Bottom