Help needed: Recurring pasty butt

KYchickadee

Chirping
Feb 5, 2015
We have 16 chicks. Seven of them came from a feed store. Two of the 7 keep getting pasty butt. Those two are also really bony. I use a heat lamp, but based off of their body language, they're not overheating. We bought grit, but then noticed that it said not to use it until they're 2 weeks of age. They're on medicated chick starter (Purina). All of the others seem to be thriving. I'm worried about them. I was going to get probiotics and electrolytes from the water, but do you have any other suggestions on why they're so bony?

There could be a number of things wrong, and you may not be able to save them. Sometimes they are just not meant to live. The boniness -- failure to thrive, or gain weight -- is not a good sign .I'll throw some ideas out there, though.

I'd have a brooder that is big enough that they can escape the heat or get under it. as they wish. The "right" temperature is so tricky, and not the same for all chicks.

Make sure your water is set up so it stays relatively free of litter so they always have plenty. Put the waterer on a brick, glue a plastic funnel to the top of it so they can't sit on it -- whatever it takes.

Pasty butt is usually constipation due to dehydration. Give them extra water with an eye dropper, giving a drop along side the side of their beak and letting them draw it in, a few drops and a few times a day if you can.

Since they are weak, there is a good chance they are being kept away from the fod and water by the others. Mix up a couple of tablespoons of the chick food with just a little water to make a paste, and take the two aside and offer this only to them. Throw away any they don't eat in maybe 20 minutes. You might need a second feed station, too.

The thing about adding anything to the water is, what they need most is water, and if it tastes a little funny to them, it isn't helping.

A tiny amount of molasses is usually attractive to them because it is sweet, and it is a bit of a laxative, so you could try that.

Grease up their bottoms with Vaseline, Neosporin, Crisco, veggie oil -- whatever.

Ypu might already be ding all this -- I'm just throwing out there what occurs to me.

The feed store says the chick starter is not complete and that we need to feed something called chick grower. Is tihs correct?

The feed store says the chick starter is not complete and that we need to feed something called chick grower. Is tihs correct?
Chick starter should be fine...grower is usually for later, and there are other options....but right now you need to get water and food into them.

There could be a number of things wrong, and you may not be able to save them. Sometimes they are just not meant to live. The boniness -- failure to thrive, or gain weight -- is not a good sign .I'll throw some ideas out there, though.

I'd have a brooder that is big enough that they can escape the heat or get under it. as they wish. The "right" temperature is so tricky, and not the same for all chicks.

Make sure your water is set up so it stays relatively free of litter so they always have plenty. Put the waterer on a brick, glue a plastic funnel to the top of it so they can't sit on it -- whatever it takes.

Pasty butt is usually constipation due to dehydration. Give them extra water with an eye dropper, giving a drop along side the side of their beak and letting them draw it in, a few drops and a few times a day if you can.

Since they are weak, there is a good chance they are being kept away from the fod and water by the others. Mix up a couple of tablespoons of the chick food with just a little water to make a paste, and take the two aside and offer this only to them. Throw away any they don't eat in maybe 20 minutes. You might need a second feed station, too.

The thing about adding anything to the water is, what they need most is water, and if it tastes a little funny to them, it isn't helping.

A tiny amount of molasses is usually attractive to them because it is sweet, and it is a bit of a laxative, so you could try that.

Grease up their bottoms with Vaseline, Neosporin, Crisco, veggie oil -- whatever.

Ypu might already be ding all this -- I'm just throwing out there what occurs to me.
This^^^ good post.

Wanted to give the thumbs up but icon not there.

Quote:
Aart is correct. This tells you who you should not go to for advice, if they don't think chick starter is a complete food. It is, for its purpose, which is the first several weeks Usually there are directions on the bag. Unfortunately, feed store employees may or may not know much about kee[ong chickens. Most don't have any training. It's a shame when they give advice without having any education in chicken keeping. At my feed store, if I ask the older fellow for chicken feed. he brings cracked corn out. Another store here had a small supply of rabibit, etc. feed, and their chicken feed was... cracked corn.

I did a lot of research before choosing a food. The purina chick starter is what I decided on. It says to feed in until they're ready to lay eggs, and then to switch them to layer pellets. I think it was at 19 weeks, but I'd have to read it again to be sure. That's what I planned on doing. I thought chick grower was for meat chickens that needed to grow quickly. I'm a little leery of changing to something I don't know about for sure anyway. My mom was the one who bought it.

Also, I thought it was isolated to the chicks that came from the feed store bc they were so overcrowded. Now one of our others from a different place has it. So now I'm worried about something contagious. The chick starter is medicated so I'm thinking it is not coccidiosis. Suggestions?

Can I use preparation H on their bottoms? Also, my mom bought the powdered probiotics, but I was thinking about mixing a small bit with water and giving it with a dropper to ensure the water source doesn't taste weird. Also, I know that kind of stuff can cause bacteria growth in the water, so we definitely don't need that issue right now as well.

We were going to go ahead and separate the sick ones to ensure the healthy ones don't pick on them and aren't keeping them from eating. Of course, it would be some of our favorites that are sick :(

The oldest ones were born around Valentines Day. The youngest are within a week. All three that are ill are within a week old.

Back
Top Bottom