Hello!

KSacco

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2015
Hi Everyone! Just starting out with chickens My boyfriend used to raise meat birds (300+) at a time. I've started small with 13 chicks 5 Sliver Laced Wyandottes, 4 Gold Laced Wyandottes, 2 Barred Rocks, and 2 Americanas. I've noticed that the Wyandottes are a little more flighty than the others, but so far they're all doing well. (If anyone has any tips on making them a little friendlier I would love to hear them!)

I've attached some pictures of our makeshift brooders and our finished coop- we are still working on a run, I am thinking I will run it off the back, there are big windows on either side of the coop that make running the run off the side more challenging. I love the chicks, but I am ashamed to admit I am looking forward to the day they can move out to the coop-I will love having my spare room back!

Welcome to BYC!

Try gently handling the chicks for a few minutes several times a day and always talk to them. You can help them get over their shyness by offering food from your hand (the way to a chickens heart is through it's stomach). Once they feel they can trust you, they will get friendlier.

Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Nice to have you here!

welcome-byc.gif
So glad you decided to join us.

I think even baby chicks instinctively fear something coming down from above. Brooders have solid walls and they don't see you coming, you reach your hand in and the instinct makes them run away. They will be more receptive to handling when they see you and you approach them at their level. I had only 1 of 6 that would hop in my hand when I reached in the brooder and others would shy away unless the hand offered mealie worms...

Once they are old enough to move to the coop, get down to their level, sit on a bucket or the ground and they will come to you.

If you haven't already tried it, give them hand held mealie worms…..treats always over comes fear. And food runs in the brooder are so much fun to witness.

Thanks everyone! That is indeed the guardian of the flock- my min pin wearing a sweeter! I am going to get some meal worms today for a light treat, along with some fine grit and work on slowly buying the love of these babes!

Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

You have a very nice coop! To tame your Wyandottes, I suggest handling them daily and giving them treats. My Wyandottes are sometimes flighty as chicks, but with enough handling, they calm down in to my most docile chickens.

Back
Top Bottom