Week Old RI Red Barely Responsive

austinamber722

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2015
Yesterday, our nine day old Rhode Island Red was flapping around, roosting and eating. This evening I was changing my flocks bedding and noticed her acting funny. She was going to sleep while all the chickens were running around. When I lifted her back into their box, she didnt even move and just stood there asleep. I thought maybe just tired---threw down some millworms for everyone and she didnt respond at all... the other chicks were even pecking at her toes and she slept on. At that point I removed her from her box placed her in front of the warm fire and have been watching her. She has shallow breathing, no pasty booty, but we noticed hasnt pooped in the past 45 minutes we have been watching her. I Read some post and it mentioned sugar water, we forced some down her, but she still just wants to lay and sleep. At this point, you can lift her and she wont even try to stand. Her left foot seems slighted curled where it wasnt when we moved her at first, she doesnt seem to be pained. Eyes closed most of the time but every once and a while she will open them and close them quickly. I am afraid she wont make it through night and not sure what to do.

UPDSTE: she made t trough night but still won't move. Equilibrium seems to be off. Her foot is uncurled and she will stand but that's about it. Thoughts?? Could really use some help.

She is not. I havent seen her eat at all in last day. I started spooning sugar water and electrolyte water to her last night after reading a few things. She cant even stay awake to drink. I have to hold it under tip of beak and when she wants will sip a it. I have no idea what to do or where to start. Her poop looked normal this morning but there wasnt much. Our local feed store opens in an hour and was thinking maybe picking up some anitbotics!? Im not sure---I researched as much as I could last night but just couldnt find anything really. I am assuming if shes not eating than she wont make it.

I was reading about Corid, its for Coccidios. Do you think thats what it is? The reason I was thinking anitbotic was possible respitory issue. But shes not seeming to be wheezing, but shallow breathing. Her making it through the night gave me a little bit of hope, but as of now, shes not eating or drinking enough so I could even get the Corid in her. I knew that if I treated one, I treated all. But am still just so confused!

I really don't know what is wrong with her, but, I don't think it is failure to thrive. In my experience, failure to thrive chicks don't have a lot of feather development.

Unfortunately, she is probably too ill to save. Do the rest of your chicks look like they are OK?

Last edited:
the rest of them look just fine. This one was the one who was showing the most growth (she was our first to roost), and had alot of personality, the sudden turn is what is what confuses me.

Back
Top Bottom