crossing true aracauna and mixed amercauna

TigerLand

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2015
North Louisiana
I have true aracauna hens, we love them and they are great layers.. I recently acquired 3 amercauna mix roosters who look more like amercaunas than anything else. 2 of the roosters were supper and the one i have left is a good rooster, very pretty. I purchased an incubator because every time i collect eggs my little girl wants to see the babys hatch.. If i were to incubate some of the fertilized eggs from this rooster will the hens that hatch lay blue eggs? Thanks for any response.

If your Araucanas are true Araucanas, they have two copies of the blue egg gene at that location on the chromosome. They will give one copy to all their offspring. Since the blue egg gene is dominant, all their daughters will lay blue or green eggs. A green egg is just a blue egg with some brown thrown in. Your Araucanas should not have any brown so their eggs are true blue.

The same thing about egg color applies to a true Ameraucana, but he is not a true Ameraucana. He has something else mixed in. If he is a second generation cross he may not even have a blue egg gene. If that is the case, the pullets will still get a blue egg gene from their mother so they will still lay blue or green eggs.

If the rooster has brown egg genetics, he could pass those down to his daughters. There are a lot of different genes that can cause brown eggs and the different shades of brown. I don’t know which he has, if any. It’s only the dominant ones that will have an effect anyway since the pullet will be a cross.

As long as the hens are pure Araucana you will get blue or green eggs from that cross. Since the rooster is a mix, you could blue or green eggs. It is quite possible, maybe even likely, you will get different shades of green from different pullets and you could even get blue eggs from others.

Back
Top Bottom