Hello from Librarian in Iowa

Samilasam

Hatching
Feb 27, 2015
Mount Pleasant, IA
I'm a mom with 3 kids 2 dogs 1 guinea pig 1 beta fish and last but not least 1 long suffering husband. Tomorrow i will be going to Farm King and getting our first ever chick's to try and have some backyard chickens of our own. I am both excited and terrified! The options they have are Black/Red sex link chicks straight run and California White chicks straight run. I want only hens but my luck I'll get only roos.

Welcome to BYC! You have a beautiful family there. If you only want hens, go with the sex-links. They're called sex-links because the colors are linked by sex, meaning males and females look different--even as babies. Female BSLs will be completely black, while males will have a white spot on their heads. RSL females will be a red of buff color, and males will be totally white. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congratulations on getting your new chicks :celebrate Raising chicks is a fantastic experience especially with children helping. Here is a nice section of the learning centre if you have not already taken a look https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks Lots of great info there.

Wishing you the very best of luck with them and hope you enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC!

x2 on @LRH97 post to go with the sex link chickens. We have 3 of the RSL in our mixed flock and they have some of the most fun personalities (plus they lay huge brown eggs almost every day).

Hope you enjoy your new little ones. If you have questions, feel free to ask. Nice to have you join us!

Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

I would also go with the sex-linked chicks. You should easily be able to pick out the females, as Black Sex-link females will be black as chicks, and Red Sex-link pullets will be reddish. The cockerels for each breed will be black with a white spot on the head (Black Sex-Links) or a whitish-yellow color (Red Sex-Links). Sex-Links will be great layers of large brown eggs, and quite docile.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom