What to do with a single hen?

ski4life

Hatching
Feb 28, 2015
Hi
We have lost all but one hen to coyotes. Two a couple of weeks ago and two today. The remaining hen seems to be pretty shell shocked and we have heard that they don't do well alone. But we don't know what our options are. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. She is a Silver Laced Bantam.

Hello! Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif

I would start by securing the run, coop, or where ever the coyotes managed to get the rest of your flock. They have been there twice, they will come back for the last one. After that, I would look into getting another hen or two to keep your remaining hen company. Chickens are social creatures, they do like to have a flock, even if that is only one other chicken.

Sorry to hear about your losses.

What you need to do, is call the county extension agent, and see if he knows some poultry clubs. Those people will be crazy, and wanting to start chicks..... so more than likely, they might have a pair of hens that they would be willing to sell you, so as to have room. They probably won't be the youngest or the best birds, but it would get you going again.

I would not worry a great deal about the quarantine, as you are only risking one bird, but do make sure that the birds you get look healthy. Don't buy sick.

Then of course, you can start thinking about chicks, well, we ALL are crazy and are thinking "chicks".

However, you CANNOT add chicks to an adult bird, even though she might be lonely, she will attack chicks.

Mrs K

ps, another place to check is the feed store, they often know people with larger flocks that buy feed, and could help you get hooked up.

Last edited:
Or you can make a house pet out of her. I have a lone hen in the garage I've moved in there because she's crippled and the rest of the flock have rejected her. She and I have a close bond, and she does just fine on her own. She has a roomy area in a grow-window complete with a nest box to lay her eggs. She gets frequent exercise periods, as limited as her walking is, on the garage floor, and occasionally gets to pick up scratch grain.

She doesn't seem to mind a bit, especially since the alternative was to suffer constant beatings and stompings from a flock that was determined to eliminate her.

You shouldn't leave your hen all alone outside, though, with no one to keep her company. Chickens may be flock animals, but they do okay if they have a human or another animal to bond with.

I really liked the suggestion of bringing her closer to your home, garage, or similar. We lost 5 of our girls in less than a year. We have one 3 year old left. She gets plenty of sun where we live, and I think somehow that helps. She gets treats all her own. She has one on one time with us while she free ranges. We know her inside out now, since she has all our attention. She lays just fine. She knows the sound of my car coming home and cries when she hears it. She doesn't cry, unless she hears us outside. I made her a TOY out of a cleaned, used Gatorade bottle. Label off and stabbed with a bunch of holes with a nail to give her treats and to play with. She gets treats and exercise from it. I know they don't live long alone, but she has been solo since May. We will do our best to keep her company for as long as we can. She was the bully before, so no, we will not be adding to our flock. I WISH she could come inside our house, but its not possible. She has a big coop and then her sleeping quarters. She sleeps on a large pile of pine shavings. When the weather gets colder, we will put a light out there to heat her sleeping house before bed. Keep your girls close to your heart, they are a WONDERFUL creation and pet.

Back
Top Bottom