Really worried

valkgal

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 21, 2014
Earlier today, my Mimi layed her first egg. Celebration! Then sister, Royal, decided to follow suit. Unfortunately, I think I interrupted the process. I opened the nesting box, and saw Royal with an egg half out. I quickly closed it, locked it, and went back later to investigate. No egg anywhere, and Royal walking around, quieter than usual, eating. The coop and winter run are tiny, so I scoured evrywhere, and no egg.

I'm worried about egg binding. When should I be concerned? What can I do?

She is not egg bound,I don't think.Try feeling her tummy.

Symptoms of egg bound:
Walking like a penguin
Pale drowny combs
Calmer , then usual

She could have ate it....

P.s,disinterested in water or food

Last edited:
Oh no, I hope not. She really didn't have enough time to eat it, I don't think. I only left them for about 10-15 minutes! Oh, I hope she didn't :(

You interrupted her and she stopped laying likely...it may have gone back inside...or it is laid somewhere where you haven't found it.

Just watch her. She will likely lay it later on if she didn't today. New layers can be easy to startle.

Egg binding is possible...but not likely yet.

It is possible she ate it, but they tend to leave egg shell bits when they do.

Don't panic. Just watch, and try not to disturb your hens when they are laying.

LofMc

That's exactly what happened. I must have startled her. Earlier today, she disappeared again. About half and hour later, she reappeared. I checked, and yep, she had layed an egg. I feel so much better!

Other than that, no other eggs today, but I think it will be a while until I start getting eggs daily, right? I have 5 girls, and only 3 are starting to lay.

Thank you ALL for helping me feel better.

Back
Top Bottom