Hawk attack. Graphic pics *Updated pics 3/30/15

ChickieKat

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 17, 2013
UPDATE 3/30/15
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-pics-4-days-out-post-86/120_20#post_15022775

Our Brahma hen was attacked today by a hawk. We saw the end of the attack and it was definitely a hawk of some sort. So far I am pretty sure her lungs are punctured, she has a broken wing and has lost much of her right shoulder and her eardrum is possibly ruptured.

I can hear her breathing and feel air moving when I put my face near her injured shoulder, but her breath doesn't sound all that labored. Her ear is super swollen and her wing is hanging lower than it should.

She is walking around a bit (we are looking for something to keep her quiet as I type) and she pecked at a feather. I have Poultry Aid that I can spray on the wound and also have spray saline that I can use to wash it out. I am worried about saline/blood getting in her lungs though. I also have probiotic and electrolyte powder that I can put in her water.

We tried to bind her wings with an ace bandage but she wiggled out. Should I bandage the wound or keep it uncovered but put Poultry Aid on it? I also have antibiotic ointment that I could put on too.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would put her in a crate in the house and watch her. to see how she does. If her lung is punctured she may not survive.

I use blue cote spray on wounds

I would put her in a crate in the house and watch her. to see how she does. If her lung is punctured she may not survive.

I use blue cote spray on wounds

I agree with tjo804. If the lung is indeed punctured you will have to decide what to do. A trip to the vet or cull her. I am sorry.

Her breathing isn't labored at all now that we have her in a laundry basket with a heavy screen over the top. I sprayed Poultry Aid on it and put a piece of a pear and a small bowl of water in with her. She wasn't interested in either but I am not surprised.

We are going to give her the night and see how she is in the morning and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom