March 2015 Tractor Supply McDonough Georgia Chicken Swap

CliffB

Songster
5 Years
Oct 5, 2014
Georgia
Chicken Swap Part 2. So it's safe to say the TSC McDonough Chicken Swap was successful even with the ups and downs. Here's some changes that we will have to make going forward. First we will be limiting this event to only POULTRY, home made goods, tack and fresh produce. Unfortunately because of the size of the event we qualify as an Exhibition by definition to the GDA and will have to meet certain criteria. Unfortunately the criteria to sell and swap goats, pigs, horses and other livestock is just too far out of reach for what we can handle. If you intend to come out to the event to swap then that is perfectly fine just bring whatever birds you intend to swap and make sure no cash is exchanged. If you registered for a Poultry License with the GDA last event just be sure you bring your paperwork to display near your space.
The GDA will be on hand again checking to make sure all birds appear to be healthy. One request by the GDA, the State Veterinarian and myself is please look into Bio Security. One thing that was observed at the event last month was that only one lady in the very back required everyone to use antibacterial hand sanitizer before handling her rabbits. While i am sure no one intends to take any of the birds they bring to the sale home with them, be aware that if people are handling multiple birds there is no way to know or control what could be getting spread from breeder to breeders stock. The GDA has my permit request and i hope to have it in my hands as soon as it is approved and mailed back to me. The event will be held on March 14, 2015 from 9am to 3pm at the Tractor Supply in McDonough. Any questions regarding the event can be directed to me and i will do my best to answer them. Thanks for everyone that came last time and we hope to see you again.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/g/a/6908695/mcdonough-tractor-supply-company-animal-swap/

Last edited:
The GDA is very adamant that anyone who sells birds and does not swap them must have a Poultry Dealers License. This is what they have told me repeatedly. Other people are getting mixed information on this so as far as i am concerned until we hear otherwise i am simply going with no cash sales unless you've got the license from the GDA. This license is only $35.00 and will allow you to sell for 1 calendar year before needing to renew. If you're bringing a lot of birds it is well worth it to avoid the hassle.

Quote:
Oh, ok. I can understand that. Thank you. I don't sell, but I do have a tendency to buy :) You are so wonderful for making this happen and we definitely want to be compliant so no one gets in trouble :)

According to the Georgia Dept. Of Ag. website, I read that If you engage in 'resale' of poultry and livestock, as in you buy it to resell it, you need a Poultry Dealers license. That does not apply to those who raise their own birds to sell. Therefore someone is not clarifying the "license" part of it.
http://agr.georgia.gov/poultry-dealer-broker-app.aspx

From Daniel Duncan
"Anyone that intends to sell Poultry would need a current Poultry Dealer’s License with GDA. This means that all participants would need their own license to do this, they would not be able to sell under Tractor Supply’s license. They would still be required to meet any and all of the Livestock Exhibition requirements that apply as well."

Back
Top Bottom