Broody Sebastopol

5G Farms

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 8, 2014
It is March 1st in Oklahoma and one of my Sebs has already gone broody, sitting on an empty nest. My question is, if I lock her away from the nest will she start laying agian since it is so early in the season.

Thank

Nick

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

Unfortunately, I don't know much about geese. I would recommend posting in the Geese section of the forums: Geese Hopefully, members there can help.

Good luck with your Sebastopol!

It is March 1st in Oklahoma and one of my Sebs has already gone broody, sitting on an empty nest. My question is, if I lock her away from the nest will she start laying agian since it is so early in the season.

Thank

Nick
Welcome to BYC wish I could help but haven't run into this yet. Usually once mines goes broody that's it on eggs for the year.

They seem to go broody early on, especially the first year, I'll just try to keep eggs away from her and hope she starts up again.....Thank you for the input this is only my 2nd year with Sebs and they seem to be different than the geese we've had in the past.

I have 3 Sepastopol geese hatched last spring and 6 Toulouse geese that are several years old. Two of the Sebastopols have started laying eggs already and now one has gone broody. I've removed all the eggs as they were laid except for the last 3, which I didn't find right away because she moved her nest to hide it from me. This morning I took those as well but she continues to set, guarded by the Toulouse gander she's bonded with. We don't need more geese, and I especially don't want to repeat the trauma of separating goslings from parents to sell as we had to last year. But I feel so bad for her! I'm considering returning the last 3 eggs I stole from her, but then I remind myself this will be a cycle that repeats itself several times a year - PLUS, one of my Toulouse geese will start laying and wanting to brood soon too. I swear I heard somewhere that Sebastopols never go broody!

Last edited:
Well, I think I caught her early enough because she is not trying to sit today, and it seems like the Sebs go broody fast the first year. My older Sebs are still laying and most of them are just laying out in the yard and have not even attempted to build a nest, which is fine with me

Thanks

Nick

I have 3 Sepastopol geese hatched last spring and 6 Toulouse geese that are several years old. Two of the Sebastopols have started laying eggs already and now one has gone broody. I've removed all the eggs as they were laid except for the last 3, which I didn't find right away because she moved her nest to hide it from me. This morning I took those as well but she continues to set, guarded by the Toulouse gander she's bonded with. We don't need more geese, and I especially don't want to repeat the trauma of separating goslings from parents to sell as we had to last year. But I feel so bad for her! I'm considering returning the last 3 eggs I stole from her, but then I remind myself this will be a cycle that repeats itself several times a year - PLUS, one of my Toulouse geese will start laying and wanting to brood soon too. I swear I heard somewhere that Sebastopols never go broody!
They get over it my Toulouse does.

Well, it worked, I locked her out of the pen she was wanting to sit in and now she's back to laying again.

Back
Top Bottom