Raising babies when it's COLD outside!

CedarWaxwing

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 6, 2009
SW MI
We have three dozen eggs that are due to hatch on Tuesday. Most will be going to live at my dad's house in the country and will be starting out in some kind of pen in their attached garage (after a couple of weeks in the brooder.)

My kids and I plan to keep 4 of them, but our garage is not attached and it's way colder, and there will only be four of them to keep each other warm. We could just let them all live together at my folk's house, but my kids are pretty gung ho about keeping them at our place.

So, long story short, I need some kind of temporary housing for the chickies in my house until it gets warm enough for them to go out. (It's seriously cold. Like, a heat lamp won't be enough.)

The brooders we have are about 3 feet by 2 feet. How long do you think we'll be able to keep them in there until it's just to crowded for them?

(I sort of feel like I'm jinxing myself talking about the chicks before they're hatched!)

I just remembered that I have a pretty big dog crate . .. I could probably use that. I guess my question is, how much space do chicks need at 5-6 weeks?

Back
Top Bottom