Brooder for Ducks!

Beach Duck 1

Hatching
Mar 1, 2015
I am new here and waiting on some ducks to come in. First time raising any type of birds. I might have went over board, but that just what I do. Want to show my off my brooder I built to see if I am on the right track. Next to get the coop ready.
Ducks arrive in little over 2 weeks. Can't wait.

Thanks for looking.

Drop bottom for easy cleaning. Plexiglass window for viewing
from my patio slider.

Adjustable venting for air flow.

Heat lamp on a dimmer switch for temp control.

Last edited:
Something like that. Just trying to keep it easy on the clean up side to keep the wife in on the game plan.
All suggestion will be taken to heart.

Thanks

It is a slight odd ball size in order to incorporate the bottom vents that open.

Actual inside dimensions are 46 inches by 28 inches and it is 24 inches tall. It sits 3 feet off the ground.

Tested the heat lamp last night. It reach 92 degrees. The dimmer switch was nice being able to reduce the heat a little at a time.

If the first 3 go well, I can see more in the future.

Sounds reasonable for three - looks beautiful to me, actually.

And because I am a nut about duck safety - - - you'll have a shelter for them that keeps them safe from predators, yes? What kinds of predators are in your area? Sometimes I forget that different parts of the world have different concerns. One member a while back had trouble with a giant lizard.

As far as a shelter, I have an old pen that is 18 ft by 18 ft that I will be enclosing. 6 ft by 18 ft of it for the coop and the other 12 ft by 18 ft for the run.

We have a few different predators. Hawks, bears, bobcats, I thinks are some gators in the swamps behind my house. (Florida). Have not seen any lizards
yet. But I would not be surprised.

Beautiful brooder, yup, put a pan underneath, at least under where you have your water. It will really help keep the mess contained

Back
Top Bottom