Cider vinegar "mother"

Ballerina Bird

Songster
5 Years
Aug 29, 2014
So, I use unfiltered cider vinegar to clean around my coop, and I just accidentally poured out the "mother" (goopy, stringy stuff) on the ground and my hen downed it, possibly thinking it was a worm. Will it bother her stomach? Should I do anything? I know that ACV is good for them, but this was kind of a concentrated dose relative to how it's usually given.

Last edited:
According to what people are saying about that stuff, you should have one chicken with a very healthy gut now!
smile.png
Kidding of course.

According to what people are saying about that stuff, you should have one chicken with a very healthy gut now!
smile.png
Kidding of course.

LOL! I thought the same thing. Mine actually seem interested in straight ACV, which I thought was too strong for them. When I pour it on the ground to clean, they come over and sample it. Then again, they are so people-oriented that they come over and investigate pretty much anything I am doing.

*LAUGHING* Yeah, I understand where you are coming from. I drink the stuff myself for health reasons- really does help, however I can't drink it straight without choking on it and you are right that sometimes it could upset the tummy. I guess we won't ever truly know how your chicken felt after eating the mother gunk... Perhaps she knew she really needed some. Who knows. They get into and eat such weird stuff.

Quick story: One of mine, a barred rock, while still a pullet got into some "citrus strip".. a paint stripper you use on wood. Its all organic and natural, but obviously probably not something you'd want a chicken to eat, nor would you think they'd want to eat. I was working outside to strip some paint off an old door and came inside for a water break. I just happened to look out the window and there she was gobbling the stuff down like it was the best stuff ever. Sad to say I lost her about 4 or 5 months later to what I suspect was liver damage due to the fact her skin was yellow. Not sure if that was the culprit or not, but just goes to show they can really get into things that are bad for them.

Oh- and paint too. (Don't ask, though luckily no actual consumption involved- they spit it out- and no deaths from that.. just messy beaks, feet and feathers!)

You live and learn!.. and sometimes survive it all.

big_smile.png

*LAUGHING* Yeah, I understand where you are coming from. I drink the stuff myself for health reasons- really does help, however I can't drink it straight without choking on it and you are right that sometimes it could upset the tummy. I guess we won't ever truly know how your chicken felt after eating the mother gunk... Perhaps she knew she really needed some. Who knows. They get into and eat such weird stuff.

Quick story: One of mine, a barred rock, while still a pullet got into some "citrus strip".. a paint stripper you use on wood. Its all organic and natural, but obviously probably not something you'd want a chicken to eat, nor would you think they'd want to eat. I was working outside to strip some paint off an old door and came inside for a water break. I just happened to look out the window and there she was gobbling the stuff down like it was the best stuff ever. Sad to say I lost her about 4 or 5 months later to what I suspect was liver damage due to the fact her skin was yellow. Not sure if that was the culprit or not, but just goes to show they can really get into things that are bad for them.

Oh- and paint too. (Don't ask, though luckily no actual consumption involved- they spit it out- and no deaths from that.. just messy beaks, feet and feathers!)

You live and learn!.. and sometimes survive it all.

big_smile.png

This is so helpful; I really appreciate it! These are my first chickens, and I'm still learning, so all of these anecdotes are super useful to me. Will definitely keep cleaners (on the very rare occasion that I actually clean anything
smile.png
) away from them. I'm sorry to hear about your girl. Also: paint??? Sigh. They are so funny sometimes. Mine are actually a breed called pita pinta, which means "painted hen," but it sounds like yours took that literally.

I had never actually heard of Pita Pintas, and had to look them up as I'm fascinated by the various chicken breeds... Wow! They are lovely!

I know what you mean about being new to chickens. I'm five years in and still learning! This is a great forum for that!

Best wishes to you, yours and your flock. Oh, and, be sure and update back here if it turns out your hen who ate the apple cider vinegar mother is the only one who is not sick in the flock!
smile.png

I had never actually heard of Pita Pintas, and had to look them up as I'm fascinated by the various chicken breeds...  Wow!  They are lovely!  

I know what you mean about being new to chickens.  I'm five years in and still learning!   This is a great forum for that! 

Best wishes to you, yours and your flock.     Oh, and, be sure and update back here if it turns out your hen who ate the apple cider vinegar mother is the only one who is not sick in the flock!   :)

LOL! I will be sure to do that, and many thanks. Here are my ladies, Odette and Odile. They really are darling.

Oh, they are absolutely beautiful... I love that speckled look! They do look painted!!!
big_smile.png

Thanks for sharing... I love seeing photos other people's chickens. They are darling!

Back
Top Bottom